Register now to get rid of these ads!

3-71 blower overhaul and parts availability?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskoolflyer13, Jun 29, 2011.

1. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

So I picked up a 3-71 blower for $30 when I was scrounging through parts at a local "honey hole". Its missing both end plates and needs overhauled. The guy never had the need for that small of a blower....and it got set aside for years. Are parts hard to come by? Even if it turns out to be no good....will make some good man room decor with a little help.

Would like to make it serviceable if possible. Casing looks pretty good from the outside. I'll post pics soon. Gotta go back to pick it up along with some other parts.....who knows what I will find up there next time :rolleyes:.

2. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

The little 3-71 was a by chance find, after digging through sheds, trailers, and buses full of early Ford parts. But, for part of a day and sweating my tail off doing it.....was in hot rod heaven.

3. 39Truck

39Truck
    from Sweden

Hello! Congrats to your 3/71 ,there are mutch parts to them and
    you can search many nice treads about them here ,Good Luck.

4. Any blower shop that rebuilds 4-71, 6-71 type blowers can rebuild that blower - uses the same end-plates, snout, etc.. It is a nice sized blower for a smaller flathead Ford. In the early 50's, Barney Navarro used one at the lakes and I believe he may have even set a record. If you have a flathead under 275 or so cubes, would work out really well.

5. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

I had a vision of using it on my 4 banger....kinda funny that I started a thread recently on that, then in front of me sat the little bugger. Lake header + blower on a banger motor just has a sweet sound to it.

6. Would work out great on a banger -- will put out more than enough boost and as long as the case and rotors are good, easy to rebuild and service.

7. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

How hard is it to find rotors for one?