Register now to get rid of these ads!

3/4 Ton Torque Spec

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasheat, Mar 13, 2011.

1. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

On a 1940's Ford 3/4 ton truck rear end, what is the torque spec on the inside big nut that holds the hub in place?

2. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I don't think he is asking about the lug nuts but the big nut that holds the hub and drum onto the end of the outer axel housing. I am not sure, but I just snugged up the ones on my 3/4 ton Studebaker with a Timken axel. After I snugged it up I spun the drums back and forth to see how it felt. When it felt good I locked the nut down. Has worked for me for about 9 years now with this truck.

4. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

the axle nut. i am no expert, but chevy 3/4 ton trucks have a really hight torque and then back off 1/6 turn. i don't think the inital torque is as important as getting it seated good and even like stude trucks said. it has to have so much play anyway. you can feel the center of the axle and see if its warm after you drive if for a while, if it is then it's too tight. :D