Register now to get rid of these ads!

292ci six into an early chassis?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Little Terry, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Little Terry

Little Terry

looking for instructions from anyone that has put a late model 292ci six into an early chevy truck.

The 292 is nearly 2 inches longer than the 216 and 235. How have you altered the rad mounts and trans mounts to get it in?
    Any help very welcome. Thanks in advance, Mark.

2. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

The problems Ive had has been the motor mounts clearing the steering boxes. I would have to get creative because of the mid mounts on them. On some years you can get away with moving the radiator forward sometimes. Good luck.

3. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

On Nash Hotrod the mount interfered with the steering box, which is in the same general location as a chivvy. Since you will have to fabricate mounts to the frame anyhow, that's incidental. Merely fab the mount to miss the steering box.

The larger issue to me would be what tranny you plan on using. ''way-early chivvy tranny won't bolt up to 292 bell and the mount is at the tailshaft, not at the bell housing crossmember.

Take the radiator, motor, etc out. Remove all mounts. Slave the motor/tranny assembly in where you want it, supporting it on wood blocks/jacks. After the motor is kind of where you want it, figure out what needs to be done with the radiator.

4. Little Terry

Little Terry

I have a manual truck bellhousing to mate up my t5 to the 292, so that isn't a problem. I was going to bolt up the bellhousing so that the front face was in the same place as the existing one (albeit with slightly different mounts), putting the back end of the engine in the stock location.

This will mean that the t5 is about 1" further forward than it is now, due to the later bellhousing being shorter by the same.

I plan to get round the engine mount problem by fabricating an early style front mount out of one from a 235. There are two spare threaded holes on each side of the front face of the 292 block that I fuigure I can use. Did i read somewhere that there was a front mount option when these were fitted in marine applications???

The problem will be the rad. I would be interested to see what solutions folks have used to put the rad further forward. I want to use the stock-style surround but don't want to butcher it too much if possible. I could maybe just swap the mounting brackets on the rad itself round the other way....

Just thinking out loud here.

5. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

I think you will need the "side mounts", instead of just using the front mount and t5 tailshaft housing mount.............It will too long of an un-supported span, similar to the early Chevy V 8 setups, which came with a front mount, and a mid mount, and I believe, no tranny mount.

6. Little Terry

Little Terry

There will be a mount on each side of the bellhousing as well. The same as with the stock setup.

7. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Of course, no reason why that won't work very well. With the front face of the bell as the rear mounts, the front of the motor is more logical than mid-way on the motor, actually.