Register now to get rid of these ads!

292 Y-block oil filter adapter question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobbyD, Mar 11, 2012.

1. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

I'm buttoning up the 292 I have for sale here on the hamb and when trying to assemble the oil filter adapter last night the adapter fittings both check at .750 while the bolt hole in my block checks at .968, roughly 31/32. I do not have the stock cannister parts, is that where my problem lies? If so I'm in need of a stock cannister oil can deal. Or can i just machine a nut threaded .968 on one side and .750 on the other or is the stock piece a neccessity?

2. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I'd wonder if it's the correct adapter kit ? I don't know if the 239 thru 272 (54 thru 55) cans and parts were different....

4TTRUK

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Sounds like maybe you're missing the stock seal plate and threaded retaining bolt that the adaptor threads into. You don't need the canister but you do need the plate and retainer.

4. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

Cool, then I'm in search of the stock shit, thanks man.....

5. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

Apparently there are 3 different ways to do this, I have the adapters which have the .750 block side and .750 filter side in both course and fine thread (Ford-Chevy) I guess, well Dennis Carpenter has it where the block thread is 1"-12, get rid of ALL the stock stuff and put adapter in place. See attached scan, this is the way to go when you have nothing to start with like me. Same part # as a lot od places carry, they should note the thread count so you know what your getting. Same Ford part# as all. B7A-6882-A

Attached Files:

6. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

It has been awhile since I put a spin on filter adapter on my 317 Lincoln Y-block. As I recall, I believe I left the threaded insert in place and then put the o-ring and retainer plate right over the supplied threaded insert, or perhaps I threaded on the retainer plate. But I am pretty sure I DID NOT remove the original insert. The supplied insert is .75x.75 for threads and found that it would screw into original insert. All I know is that the filter fits fine and does not leak.

7. Here is a pic

Attached Files: