Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 292 Y block hesitation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sonofabob, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

I have a 1955 Mercury Montclair, it has a 292 Y block with an autolite 2100A carburetor. Went to take it out for the first time this year yesterday, had extremely bad hesitation. To the point it was dying upon acceleration. Got it home. Found a bad leak coming from the power valve and accelerator pump. So rebuilt the carb, no leaks now. Still bad hesitation. Last fall it had an intermittent spark issue, ended up being the points and condenser. Fixed that issue at that time car did excellent on a decent cruise. The car will sit and idle fine, but give it gas and it hesitates. I will post pictures of the car, carb and engine in question. I'm wondering if it could be timing, fuel delivery or possibly something else? 20200301_131606.jpeg 20200301_131556.jpeg 20190927_180041.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G975U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

winduptoy, egads and dana barlow like this.
  2. glrbird

glrbird

Does it hesitate and die, or hesitate and then accelerate. Is the accelerator pump giving a good shot of fuel when the throttle is opened? Might check timing, if retarded will cause hesitation. Love the car, nice modification.

3. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

Hesitates and dies. And thank you! She started life as a hardtop. A lot of folks think it's stock but far from it.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

Yes!

Check carb accelerator pump to make sure it's working, look for vacuum leaks, check that mechanical and vacuum advance both work, if so equipped, and check initial timing. You set the float level correctly when you rebuilt the carb, I hope.

Does it go OK if you ease into it? Or will it just not keep going when you open the throttle?

Sonofabob likes this.

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Maybe some fresh gas? Lippy

squirrel likes this.
  6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

With motor not running ,look down carb to see if both sides of carburetor accelerator pump is squirting gas when you open linkage ?

;; just added;I type so slow,after I posted,see some others did when I was still typing.

Sonofabob likes this.
  7. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

It will go ok at times. To get it home I had to have the chock partially on. Even at idle it has very bad hesitation if I give it gas. This is the same symptoms before the carb was rebuilt. But God knows I'm not infallible so I may not have set the float correctly. This afternoon when I get to the building I'll check the timing, possibly advance it a bit. Also we'll check for vacuum around the base gasket. How many degrees past TDC do you reccomend?

8. egads

egads

Try checking the accelerator pump linkage. Need to see if the pump arm is just touching the pump at rest, looks like it is pretty far out in your pic.

Sonofabob and squirrel like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

It should work fine with the stock timing specs for the distributor you have. Do you know what the distributor is from?

10. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

Squirrel, no I do not. This car is one of the cars that my Dad bought before he past. This him pulling our sprint car to the nostalgia races. While I've always been able to keep the cars running great, this one is kicking my arse. 20141127_115020.jpeg

warbird1, egads and dana barlow like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

Put a timing light on the engine, rev it up, see what happens. Disconnect and reconnect vacuum to the distributor, both at idle and when revved up, see what happens.

Sonofabob likes this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm assuming the distributor has been upgraded from the original Loadmatic of 1956. If not a new carb does not work correctly.
    From my experience, without it running and the air cleaner off, I would look in the carb throat and just crack the throttle 1/8"-1/4" and see if the accelerator pump at least dribbles in some fuel; It should. With a good ignition and immediate extra fuel there should be no hesitation even without vacuum advance. It would just be very sluggish. Good luck.
    PS. I need to comment, "That is one beautiful Mercury"

Sonofabob likes this.
  13. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

I absolutely will do that this afternoon. Thank you for the advice! We really want this one running right again.

14. glrbird

glrbird

That is an Awesome rig! If you had to have the choke out, I would think it is a fuel delivery problem. Fuel pressure?

15. sunbeam

sunbeam

ClayMart likes this.
  16. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

17. sunbeam

sunbeam

40 miles west of Wichita

18. jaracer

jaracer

When you check the accelerator pump, note that it begins to squirt as soon as you begin to move the linkage. It should also be a strong, continuous flow as you move the linkage.

19. If this sat for months, you may have a clogged jet in the carb. I hope to see your car this summer. :)

20. 6sally6

6sally6

Did it run good when you put it up?
    IF it did............I would drain the fuel and put in some fresh. Save the gas and use it in the lawnmower and such.
    Do the old shade tree tune up.
    Warm it up and get the motor reved up pretty high and clamp your hand over the carb top and open throttle wide open while doing this. When the engine just about dies take you hand off (with throttle still wide open) Let the engine start to rev up again and clamp your hand over it again. Do this several times.
    You will be pulling a tremendous vacuum through the carb! IF there is some trash in the circuit/jets this should suck it out and clear everything up.
    6sally6

Sonofabob likes this.
  21. v8flat44

v8flat44

Bad vac. advance on the distributer ?

22. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

Actually we're eventually going to sell this one. Probably this spring or summer.