Register now to get rid of these ads!

292 Y-Block Carb Selection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Poopbox, Nov 13, 2011.

1. 50Poopbox

50Poopbox

So I am thinking about changing the carb on my 292. It currently has a 2 bbl w/ electric choke. I dont know who makes it. I thought it was a Holley 2300 but the rebuild kit for that carb had almost no matching gaskets/seals or parts. The guy I bought it off told me it came off a mid 60's Y-Block.
    Im thinking about going to a 4 bbl and wondering if the Holley 4160 will bolt straight up to it, or do I need a new intake manifold. This is a daily driver and I'm not looking for huge horsepower numbers or anything, just want it to be able to scoot alright.
    If I need a new intake manifold, I think i will stick with a 2 bbl. So that being said which way should i go their. I would like to stick with an electric choke regardless.

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

You may have an Autolite 2bbl carb on your car. it will bolt to any intake that would also use a Holley 2bbl like you describe. Yes, you'd need a different intake manifold for a 4bbl.

3. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

You will need a new intake manifold or at the very least a mickey mouse adapter to install a 4 barrel carb.

4. 50Poopbox

50Poopbox

Cool, thats what I figured. Any opinions on which way is the better way to go?

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

4 barrel intake with a 1.08 480 CFM Autolite Ford 4V carb would be your best bet.