Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 292 Chevy Coil

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jahawk, Oct 21, 2018.

1. jahawk

jahawk

I've got the early HEI set up with external coil. Is this coil anything special, can I replace it with your average Mallory coil?

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Driver50x

Driver50x

What distributer do you have? If it’s an HEI, the coil should be mounted in the distributer cap.

3. patzfab

patzfab
    from Canada

I think there are 2 coils available, one of them requires a resistor, the other iirc, is for the HEI distributor, I can’t recall the part#, but I had to buy one for a project recently.

(MSD Blaster 8202 I think it is)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need a coil that has the voltage and capacity for the Hei or you are pissing in the wind buying the fancy coil over a standard coil for the Hei.
    In answer Driver 50X depending on the year 250 and 292 Chevs either had a remote coil or a coil built into the cap on HEI. The remote coil is an ugly little square box that puts out about 45K volts.

5. jahawk

jahawk

Sorry for the delay it's hunting season here and the car is on the back burner. A picture of my set up is attached.

From what I've found it is the early model HEI.

Jim

Attached Files:

• coil.jpg
      coil.jpg
      File size:
      166.5 KB
      Views: