Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 29 RPU- "Street/Strip" B/SR Build - Marty Strode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Hi, Marty... The RPU looks amazing, Question!! It's a 325 Ford trans? 10 bolts
    Sent from my Mi A1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I never gave a thought to the number 325, but it's a 10 bolt, wide ratio (2.78 first gear). I junked out a 67 Mustang with a 390 engine back around 1972, and that's where it came from. I have 4 spares, and plan on installing a big input shaft (1-3/8 X 10 spline) built by Doug Nash, back in the 70's, along with pro-shift synchro setup, for the track only. The shift linkage will be the Hurst Super Shifter (shown) for the track, and the street trans will be unmodified and utilize a Competition Plus shifter.

kiwijeff, 1947knuck, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  3. Johnny99

Johnny99

This thread is great! I have a Hossfeld in my shop as well, that pile of bent stuff is eerily familiar. The bird video fantastic, sometimes it's the simple things in life that keep your mind right, your Nephew did a wonderful job. Hope I get to see this car at Riverdale. Stay healthy everybody.

loudbang likes this.
  4. bchctybob

bchctybob

Uhh Marty, what’s with all the kitty litter? I thought you were a bird man? Lol.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Johnny, I am really looking forward to Riverdale in late August, hopefully it will be OK if we shake hands !

1947knuck, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bob, the folks at the grocery store used to question me buying litter and bird seed at the same time. This was my best Cat buddy, weighed in at 22 lbs, lost him a year and a half ago, his name was Thumbs. I wish I would have shared his picture with 3 Window Larry. Thumbs.JPG

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  7. Thanks for the reply, so in USA it's called Toploader and in my country I know as 325 Ford...
    The toughness is comparable with a Muncie or even a A833.
    Sent from my Mi A1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Making link brackets on an angle tube is always a challenge. The fact that the double shear plates can't be even close to symmetrical, requires and attempt to be artsy. I make all the templates out of .063 aluminum, because it gives a more honest fit than cardboard, and can be bolted in place. A contour guage gives a place to start on the fitment. The real plates will be made out of 3/16 cold rolled, an the top front corners will be boxed in, and there will be a tube connecting at the push point to the trans crossmember above the flange. IMG_4640.JPG IMG_4641.JPG IMG_4642.JPG IMG_4643.JPG IMG_4645.JPG IMG_4649.JPG IMG_4650.JPG IMG_4651.JPG

9. Great progress!

loudbang likes this.
  10. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

Marty, do you have all the trans parts already? I have a bunch of Phalanx clutchless stuff I got with the injected Boss 302 I'm never going to use. I'll have to count the teeth on 2nd gear but I think most if 2.32 first stuff.

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

A friend of mine ran a 65 Mustang Convert in Modified Production in the 70's, and recently put it on the street. We are doing some trading for the parts. That Phalanx clutchless stuff, is serious race equipment !

bchctybob, 1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  12. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

If you are interested in the new set let me know.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Johnny99

Johnny99

I'll sponsor the hand sanitizer for that handshake! Not to sound to insensitive but I hope things are back to normal enough for Billetproof, what a ton of fun. You'll find me driving or lounging near this heap.

willys burnout.jpg

14. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Ah yes, the far superior beast in every way. Just ask one... 20191002_193514.jpeg 20191002_193700.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Speedwrench and lurker mick like this.
  15. Gofannon

Gofannon

Cats are all good until they piss on your bare metal project. Has to be the most corrosive stuff on the planet.

16. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Yep, was the victim of that loveliness on the freshly stripped floor pans of my 69 Camaro...I didn't catch it right away. Grrrr

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  17. bchctybob

bchctybob

Yep, I left my Austin outside for one night covered and my neighbors cats found my magnesium wheels!
    Sorry about your big ol kitty Marty.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Today, I got the front mounting plates cut out, drilled, and the outer ones fit and tacked on, along the with the rear mountings. The pinion angle is dead parallel at this time. Tomorrow, the inner plates will be fit, and boxed on the top side. Then, the network of tubes will connect with some diagonal braces to the frame rail, to keep the frame rails square, under hard launches. IMG_4654.JPG IMG_4655.JPG IMG_4657.JPG IMG_4658.JPG IMG_4661.JPG IMG_4665.JPG IMG_4666.JPG IMG_4667.JPG IMG_4669.JPG

19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here is another riddle. This is a driver side spindle from a 37 ford. I have had dozens of 37-41 spindles, but never saw one with the M or W, depending how you look at it. The right side does not have any markings. Anyone ever seen this before ? IMG_4670.JPG

20. I'm pretty sure I have one with the same markings. I have no idea what it denotes?

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  21. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

loudbang likes this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Got a late start today, but got the inner plates, and the rest of the tubes fit and tacked. The first couple of shots, shows the sheet metal strip fitting method I use. I call this arrangement, a "Caged K Member", with a drop out transmission mount. The ladder bar mounts will be boxed in at the top and front, later when the frame is on the table. IMG_4671.JPG IMG_4672.JPG IMG_4673.JPG IMG_4675.JPG IMG_4676.JPG IMG_4679.JPG

23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I like your ladder bar crossmember solution Marty.
    I used to run a toploader in an altered. I liked the Mr. Gasket Vertical Gate for the track.

Just a heads up - IIRC the big block input shafts are about 3/8" shorter than the small blocks' input shaft. Also, Liberty's Gears put a first gear on mine that had an extra tooth on the same pitch diameter (each tooth profile was just a smidge narrower) that gives a 2.87:1 ratio, if you need more gear to launch it.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I will machine an extended pilot bushing, not sure what it will take coupled to a Chev.....

25. AmishMike

AmishMike

Last pic in this post shows bunch washers holding heim joint. Will u later put in high misalignment spacers to allow more heim movement? Or will u leave washers?

26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The washers were to hold the space for the urethane ends, (street use) that measure 1.750"wide, during fitment. The solid ends for the strip measure .875 ", and I will machine (4) .4375"wide spacer sleeves, that are 7/8" OD, to keep the rod end centered. IMG_4591.JPG

27. [​IMG]

This kind of "SHIT" makes me horny and puts me in a place of zen when I'm fitting!! Props!! Like all the little tips your handing out to others that may not know. Good on you Marty!! Never too old or informed to pick up a little Gem!

28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It's all back together and rolls, now I need to order some shocks and header parts. The ride height and stance are close to what I was after. In the meantime, I will be switching back to the Track Roadster for a while. Hope to see some of you there ! IMG_4692.JPG IMG_4693.JPG IMG_4697.JPG

29. AmishMike

AmishMike

Forgot u using bushing & solid. Makes perfect sense with spacers. What class or e.t. You shooting for at track? What cubes, horsepower, weight you expecting? Follow & love all your builds. Great jobs. Thanks for all responses.

30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Mike, maybe Dean will chime in on what his weighed, mine will be about the same weight, perhaps 2400 ? As far as cubic inches, 355, around 550 hp. Pretty sure it will run low to mid 10's quarter mile. The problem I face is, with a bolt in roll bar, or any roll for that matter, rules only allow 11 flat or slower. Since it's for the most part a street car, I will not weld in a cage. Races like Billetproof, or Eagle Field are 1/8 mile, I am looking at mid 6's. As long as it runs good, goes straight, and looks the part of a mid-60's B/SR, I will be happy.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020