Register now to get rid of these ads!

'29 Roadster build help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NORSON, Sep 28, 2010.

1. NORSON

NORSON

Sometime in the past year or so there was posting on a a -29 roadster build using '29 sport cpe. quarters. Major reshaping of the quarters was done. Seems that the guy was Australian. Reason: have a pair of spt. cpe. quarters and picked up a rather raw '29 roadster cowl at a swap meet this week end. I've always wanted a '29 roadster and this seems to be my best shot at it, given my fixed income and advanced years. I've searched and searched for this thread and can't find it anywhere. please help.

2. dawg

dawg

I'm building one, you need some doors and hinges, and then you will see what has to be done. The rear panel ahead of the deck lid from Brookevile will help you see what has to be done to the bead on the top of the quarters. Are you using a stock frame, or something else?...

3. NORSON

NORSON

Dawg -
    Thanks for the input. Yah, I figured on getting that panel. I have one for a '30-31 But they are different. The cowl I got included the front one foot of the roadster quarters and most of the front sub-frame for the body. It looks like the guy was trying to make a RPU. The main thing I'm Going to be needing is the doors. The post that I was looking for showed in detail all of the cuts and fabrication the guy did to make the transition. It's always best to use someone elses efforts guide you if possible. I've seen the post several time, but can't find it now. How far along are you on your project? Thanks again. - Norm

4. dawg

dawg

Mine is still in mock up/fab stages, I didn't have doors, so I used a set of 30 doors and turned them upside down,and built the top bead. My car is more of a salt type car, with a cage built inside of the skins. That might kinda change though, as a guy I know has the doors and back half of a 28 roadster he might let go of. If you have the front 12" of the roadster quarters, and a set of sport coupe quarters, you have evreything you need except part of the top bead and the rear upper panel. If you are a decent metal guy, it's cake. Having your frame choice made up front would help things a bunch, as you could use it as a location fixture for everything. Wish you lived closer, you could just bring it all over one weekend, and I could help you splice everything together...

5. NORSON

NORSON

Thanks Dawg. I find everyone on the HAMB has that "can I help" attatude. I'm learning a lot. I've been out of the loop since '77. I have the makings of 5 cars and plan on making up for lost time.

6. NORSON

NORSON