Register now to get rid of these ads!

29 Model A VIN and Optional Fenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iracer, Aug 22, 2007.

1. iracer

iracer

Ok two questions rolled into one post.

I purchased a 29 Model A Sedan that came with a Illinois title. Indiana, current place of residence, requires an officer to inspect vehicle and match the VIN number on the title to the VIN number on the vehicle. The number on the title is A1967301. Researching through the threads I located posts regarding where the numbers are stamped on the Model A chassis but where do I look on the four banger. If it is the number off the engine does anyone know if the officer will accept that as verification.

Second question, my Sedan is the Tudor model but it was assembled with two spare tires forward of the doors. The only pictures and references I can locate show the spare in the back. Were the cars back then assembled with options or does the location of the spares change the type of Model A.

Thanks for the help

2. carkiller

carkiller

Engine # is on the side of the block, In a raised area. Check the #s yourself make sure they match. Does your title have engine # or serial # on it. Alot were titled off engine#. Engine# and serial# match. Unless its had a engine swap.

3. alchemy

alchemy

When new, the VIN on the top left side of the block matched the frame and the paperwork. Almost 80 years later you'd be VERY lucky if that is the original engine.

Can you prove the sedan was originally assembled with the sidemounts, and not added later? Sounds like a pretty rare request, but I bet a dealer would do it if paid enough. May have been done at the dealership, not the factory.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

Restorers love the sidemount spare tires. If you dont want them, you can sell them.

5. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

I've seen many blocks that have rusted so bad over the years that you can't tell what the number is without an acid test. Even then it might not be legible. The numbers are on the left side of the block just above the water port in the little square boss that was made for them. Should have a star on each end of the numbers.
    I've also seen the blocks re-stamped but I'm not telling.

6. 31HotRodLincoln

31HotRodLincoln

The number on the chassis is on top of the drivers side frame rail under the seat.
    Invisible, unless the body is off.
    This was the case with my 31'

7. iracer

iracer

Thanks for the advice. I will take a look on the motor when I get back home from Cali.

A friend made a comment on the fenders, he said Ford did not stop the production line for nothing so if they ran out of standard fenders they would put on the next best thing. He said those fenders were common on the Model A trucks.

8. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

My 31 was the same. I did all the work to take the body off and the guy never even looked. He said if they were wrong you wouldnt have called to have them verified