Register now to get rid of these ads!

29 model a roadster quarter panel ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by METAL MELTDOWN, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Any body found a newer body fender bead/radius that would work to replace a rusted out quarter panel section where the inner wheel tub is welded in? It is going to be a highboy so there is no problem about matching up with a fender. Looking for something that can be welded in that will repair section but also kind of act as a bead? Not sure I'm explaining it properly, similar to welding a round bar along the edge without looking so backyardish! Any ideas?

2. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Hi meltdown! If all you want to do is make a single patch panel you can do that with very rudimentary hand tools. There are some examples here on the HAMB. One such thread is 'hand-built model A' by Pat Prior. Pat is a good example of a guy who wanted a model A body, couldn't afford/justify what he was offered and built his own. I'm not sayin' it's a perfect copy or that the workmanship is world class. What I am sayin' is he built his own friggin' body! Not many guys can say that and Pat doesn't own a bunch of expensive Metalshaping equipment either. He's just a guy who jumped into this project with a lot of guts and some ideas about how to get there from here!

Give it a shot, if you want better results that Pat's car, you might visit the Metalmeet.com website for some real input from a great bunch of metalshapers.

Good luck, and it doesn't take a bunch of expensive tools to get started. Go for it!

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith