Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features '29 Ford STEELBACK Build & The Chris Piscitelli Sketch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Feb 24, 2013.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

This story starts after sunset Wednesday in the Hershey swap meet 2010 when I found the back of a 1929 Ford STEELBACK Fordor sedan what Ford called the 60C. At the time it was the largest body part Ford ever made, three pieces welded together.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Factory photo from 1929.

Attached Files:

LOU WELLS and DylanHill1931 like this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

I started collecting bits and pieces, doors, rear pan, visor, etc. Today I finally found and added the Fordor cowl to the collection.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2013
    Stogy likes this.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I can't draw, but I love looking at artwork. I can picture a project in my head, but seeing a sketch of the finished project sure would be great. I found Chris Piscitelli here on the HAMB and his artwork really impressed me. That factory photo above and a discription of what I thought would look good and this is what he was able to do. Check out his website, Bob http://www.design165.com/#!design

Attached Files:

chriseakin, IronFord, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  6. That artwork reminds me of the British Swallow car

7. Nice concept! Is it going to be difficult to find the rear doors?
    I get the impression that people will be scratching their heads when they see this car, right up until they walk around to the front and see the Ford grille!

Keep us posted.

8. Hey Bob, here,s a couple of pics of a Dutch model A conversion. Built by hamber The General. See his build thread. There are more threads by hambers covering shortend model A sedans. Search for shortened Murray or Leatherback or something similar.

Attached Files:

catdad49 and Spoggie like this.
  9. Southfork

Southfork

Hey, GAZ, That's not a bad-looking rod! I'll have to look at his build thread. I've got a few body parts for this style sedan myself, so now I'll have to find some more.

Stogy likes this.
  10. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

The artwork is very cool. Looks like a great project.

hipster likes this.
  11. Right on! Dig the concept drawing...what's the plan for motorvation?

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks GAZ, I mentioned late 1930's Jaguar and Bentley "Blue Train" to Chris and that was what he came up with. I think the project will be built on a '32 chassis, maybe a GMC 6 with a Wayne head. :) Bob

chriseakin, duncan and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. Sweet. Looking forward to this one!!

14. How about using something like a Jaguar 6? Seems like it might look and sound the part.

Ronroth likes this.
  15. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Chris is the artist responsible for my build and art work on my Avatar, hope he's buiding his own dream!

16. draider

draider
    from Texas

Definitely tuned into this one...

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Any time you can upgrade the quality of parts do so, you'll save time and money. Picked up this early '28 cowl today that someone had stripped, primed and painted John Deere green. It's just about perfect only one rust pinhole. Big plus to me it's smooth, no cowl light holes and cowl band clip strips. Little over an hour and the paint was off with a razor blade scraper. Someday I'll be able to market the piece I bought back in February and get back what I spent today. Bought a hood two weeks ago, so things are looking good.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    biggeorge likes this.
  18. There's a difference in hoods between 1928 and 1929. The bead is in a different location, so check what you have.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Well, That got me away from the keyboard and into the garage were the '29 hood has been soaking with P B Blaster. Took it into the basement and tried it against both cowl sections I have, and the bead lines up perfectly! I had removed the rods in the side panels last week, so I figured I'd tap the center rod out while I was there. Got it to move in flush with the first rolled hinge. Tried the drill motor trick but it failed with the rolled rod, so off to find a punch. Found my masons hammer, need it for the stone wall work, found some scrap brass of the scrap yard run, and found a bent center hinge rod from the last A hood I took apart. Just what are the chances of that happening? Hood hinge removal gods must have been at work. Tapped the rod out and now I have all four pieces ready to strip. Hosed off the paint remover on the cowl door posts, even washed the lawn mower since it was next to the hose hook. So how is the Atlas Chrome Clone progressing? Bob :D

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  20. chaddilac

chaddilac

Gonna be a cool project, I acquired a 60C several years ago but have it sitting in the barn waiting it's turn.

Rot 'n Kustom likes this.
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good to know I'm not alone! Got to send some money off for the B pillars. So far I have parts from 7 different bodies. Bob

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've been thinking of this project all day, it may just go in the trailer for Hershey. It will be many years before I can get to it so maybe it is best to let it fund the Roadster project. Bob

===== Loaded it inside the trailer yesterday see it at C4J 41-42 ====

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Found two Slant Window front doors at Hershey, and the body didn't sell, maybe that tells me to keep it on the back burner. Bob

24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I always thought that the blindback body style was the best looking Model A 4-door, and Chris' design sketch looks great. Keep going!

25. 7
    Yes! Keep it! Build it. This needs to be done - it´s a real breath of fresh air.

26. Well i heard there were guys all over that body while you were out snagging those doors :D: Anyhow, get stuck into it Bob, you have all winter . I guess you need the first week to unpack :eek:?

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll have all the Hershey pile inside in another 2 hours. It will take a good month to organize things, and put them away. I had a great time, meet a lot of new people, sorry I missed a lot that stopped by. Bob

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Tim (WTSHNN) posted some great Hershey shots on The Ford Barn that you can view in the dryness of your computer area. This is what my 60C pile looked like. Bob [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Maybe the right side is the better side? Bob [​IMG]

Stogy and lowcoe like this.
  30. The37Kid

The37Kid

LARS 092.jpg Saw this car in the swap meet at the LA Roadster show. Sorry for the fuzzy photos, but it did get me thinking of this project again. Not a steelback, but close enough to the overall look I'm thinking about. Bob

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.