Register now to get rid of these ads!

29 Ford Roadster 292 Y-Block Firewall clearance issues.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemunkee, Sep 8, 2011.

1. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

So, after months of trying to make up my mind, I've decided to go with a Y-block in my roadster. Today I made the first trial run at measuring things up, and I realized I need MUCHO clearance in to the firewall. Want to know if anyone has done a Y-block powered 29 Ford, and how you got the clearance you needed. I'm trying to NOT stretch the frame. I've been debating an aftermarket firewall, but don't really like the look of them. I've searched the forum, and all I can find is 30-31 Fords with the flipped/reversed/recessed firewalls, no 28-29's. Also looking at how the hell I'm going to rig the steering. Any pictures, drawings, or stick figures that could help out would be greatly appreciated.

2. yblock292

yblock292

I went through the same thing with my yblock powered A coupe, its a 30 but about the same. Figured if i recessed the firewall it would be a bitch to drive so i stretched the frame 7 1/2 inches and was able to keep the stock firewall. I know you don't want to do this but it worth the leg room.

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

This is why you don't see many 32's and A's with Y blocks. We tried installing one in a 32 with much modification and realized we weren't ready to sacrifice a good firewall and definitely didn't want to stretch anything.

4. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Thought I would bring this back up and see if anyone else would chime in. Anyone out there with a Y-Block Powered 28-29? Plenty of 30-31, but it's a big difference with look of the firewall. Also, Steering looks likes it's going to be a PAIN.

5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I have on in my 28. It's a fenderless PU so I just slid the cab backward about 2". I also cut the lower firewall section out and replaced it with flat sheet, but made a dimple inward for distributor clearnace.

I don't think you'd have to recess the firewall much, maybe 3" or so.

I used a F100 box that I made a special mount to bolt it to the top of the frame rail.

6. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Corn fed, could you post pictures of your setup? I have an F1 box, so I would really like to see the bracket you made.