Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '29 cabriolet build, better late than never

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Russ B, Sep 30, 2014.

1. A second paint sample panel on the left. the top color is what I am close to selecting
    [​IMG]
    It is a bit lighter in the sun, but close to black under artificial light.
    [​IMG]

I cut down the 4-40 machine screw head size on my BLC tags (see one on top)
    [​IMG]
    ...still too big. I would rather have a proper sized brass hollow tube rivet, any sources?

2. Great progress and very nice work! There is a guy in Missouri (St. Charles I think) that repops the tags...surely He would have the rivets. I think his name is Rick Bales. Man my memory is not what it used to be. dconrad here on the hamb could tell you. Enjoying your thread...Tim

3. Thanks Tim,
    did a search and found him, sent a message.

4. Russ: I may be thinking of the wrong thing. The headlights may be Guide's??? I would still pursue it. I'll look for Rick's contact info also.

5. This car is amazing. On the tube rivets why not make them? It certainly looks like something you can handle.

6. That's some good work there Russ B . I will check back later on . Andy...

7. thanks Ross for the great build thread.....it's a great help to this owner of a 68B.....

8. whoops....Russ....

9. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

That's is an awesome car with an equally awesome story that goes with it! Love the car and best to you man!

10. opunui

opunui
    from Honolulu

Love your story line with the pictures. Great looking car

11. Got the seat done/redone today
    [​IMG]

the trunk is covered
    [​IMG]
    Basically, I am using 4" pleats as the original seats had, and am keeping the buttons and their location as original; but I thinned down the seat bottom so I would sit a couple inches lower than originally. The trunk keeps using the 4" pleat design.

12. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

Is that a stock modified sest? Looks great.

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Great story and build, love it

14. The seat back is stock. I made a new wood frame and attached Snyders reproduction springs to it.
    The seat bottom is foam on a wood base I built. I had tried to use the springs, but they were too high, and trying to tie them back to reduce the height did not help enough. The foam height under the knee area is almost the same as original, but under the butt area it is two plus inches lower. I needed the lower position to see better out the windshield.
    The upholstery guy worked with me to get the shape I wanted/needed. The comfort level driving/sitting in the car was greatly improved by the changes from original. Surprisingly, even the buttons in the seat back added to the comfort! They pulled the back springs into a more comfortable support position!

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Nice, Russ. When will you paint it?

16. Tony, soon. ...but it will be painted over a number of months. My painter wants to do the trunk gutter piece separately out of the body so he can get it properly coated. So I will have to reassemble the body again and align trunk lid, which still needs a little recurvature work on one side. Then the body will come off the frame for paint. That will likely be in March, so I will miss taking it to Santa Maria this year, unless all really works out really well. Much of the small stuff will be getting color soon, along with the trunk gutter. It will likely be done in August or September 2015.

17. 50Fraud

50Fraud

These projects take a long time, don't they?

18. They sure do Tony. A year and a half ago, I thought I might finish by Sept of 2014. Even in April 2014, I thought I would be starting on paint by July 2014. I am not pushing a deadline on this one. It will be done when it is done. Going at my slow pace, I have made a number of minor changes that make me happier with the overall design.

...but I sure was hoping to see your new car in paint this last May, but I still enjoyed seeing it as it was. I can hardly wait to see it finished.

19. I am going to be wood graining my instrument panel and three switch panels and am starting the process.
    [​IMG]
    I am making a number of samples as I proceed to select a woodgrain color that matches my interior and body colors.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    its is a long slow process
    [​IMG]
    I am using the Grain-It woodgraining process.
    This is the first practice panel I did:
    [​IMG]
    A lot of work needed to get halfway good at it. Maybe by May I will be ready to paint the real thing.

20. I added toners to the panels and now have 24 shades to pick from once I finish the clear coat.
    [​IMG]
    My plan is to do another panel once I am close to selecting the color I want, and run several grain options on it.

daddio211 and loudbang like this.
  21. loudbang

loudbang

The man with a plan. The samples look good.

22. 2935ford

2935ford

Nice work!
    Cabriolets, very cool car......the Model A's "rear" convertible. :)

23. slow progress, but got my steering wheel back on the car after nearly six months waiting for the new rim
    [​IMG]

Below is a practice piece of wood graining I did, different grains, different striping and different base color tones.
    [​IMG]

I am about ready to start on the actual one now.

kiwijeff and daddio211 like this.
  24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Amazing work. Your car is going to be a wonder to see and drive. Gary

26. a bloke

a bloke

That's a cool car with some family history. Thanks for posting.

27. Just got my cabriolet back on the road again today, after installing the dash. I wood grained using the Grain-It Technology process.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The lighter color uses a Crotch Mahogany grain pattern and the darker, edge areas is a straight grain mahogany pattern. The outer color is Carpathian Elm base and elm graining compound. The inner area is Maple base and a mix of maple and elm graining compounds. Pin stripe is One Shot Tan.

I spent a lot of time trying to get the color right for the wood grain and I am satisfied with the result.

...just a few more things to correct and then a full tear down for paint. I hate to stop driving it, but I want to finish it too.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  28. daddio211

daddio211

I've never been a big fan of wood dashes, but WOW! I'm converted! That's gorgeous!!!

loudbang likes this.
  29. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The dash is spectacular, Russ! Phenomenal job!

daddio211 likes this.
  30. loudbang

loudbang

This dash is amazing. Great work.

daddio211 likes this.