Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 29 A Coupe drip rails?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ty johnson, Dec 24, 2013.

1. ty johnson

ty johnson

I started to put my drip rails on the car. I filled the original spots above the qtr windows. The above the door fillers i made. I used the position on the qtrs to start my drip rails and then down to the front. I'm asking if it looks right or close enough?
    Thanks guys.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. looks good, where did you get the drip rails?

3. ty johnson

ty johnson

I got them with one of my projects. They look to be new for a sedan and i just trimmed them to fit.

4. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I don't think they are positioned correctly. Am I the only one to see it? Look at the pics of this coupe. Very different position. Even on this wacked out body. Yours start to rise too high about half way along the door. Should be almost a straight shot back to the side window.

Attached Files:

5. ty johnson

ty johnson

That's kinda what i thought but i followed the nail hole on the qtrs and went from there to the front. Right at the point of the qtr and the roof panel there in the center of where the nails would be.

6. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I don't know if the '29 is different from the '30 but mine were a bit lower and flatter.

[​IMG]

7. ty johnson

ty johnson

I might cut them loose and flatten them a lil.
    [​IMG]

8. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Don't know if there is a difference but my 31's drip rail is 1/8 up off the top of the front of the door and 1/4 at the back of the door (hope that's not too confusing).... ......jack

9. modelacrazy

modelacrazy

I think they look good. Just my opinion but I think model A's look strange without drip rails. Glad you took the time to put them back on.

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

They look OK to me and I too am glad you kept them...

11. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I think they look OK.
    They are positioned wrong, but it only matters to you:), so if your happy, then all is good.
    If you do decide to take them off to reposition them you should consider rosette welds from the inside....lots less finish work
    [​IMG]

12. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

No doubt they are off,but once painted they may blend. Hopefully they are on tacked on.

13. ty johnson

ty johnson

I cut them loose and moved them. Not welded yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Still look a little high to me, but whatever you like. Coupe below is a '30, the drip rails hug the top of the doors.

Attached Files:

15. primerhotrod

primerhotrod
    BANNED
    from ILLINOIS

The second set of pics look better. I personally like them close the the original location. Its hard to tell how it will look when there is color on the car. At the end of the day, where do you like them best, Its your car.

16. ty johnson

ty johnson

I think the 30-31 are closer to the doors. The stamping in the qtr above the window is where they should be right, where the nail holes are? I started there and the proceeded forward. The last pic is about where i'm going to leave them. I see how the 30-31 hug the doors closer. Any body got good pics of 28-29's?

17. ty johnson

ty johnson

18. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Here's a pic of my drip rails...

Attached Files:

19. ty johnson

ty johnson

Scrap, by looking at yours i believe mine are pretty close. BITCHIN' CARS you have too.

20. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

not on an A, but mine set a little lower, I used the 32 style and bent the end
    [​IMG]

21. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I agree that there is something different going on. You have more space above the door than on my two 29 coupes. Are your doors maybe chopped a tad more than the body?

22. ty johnson

ty johnson

If you look at the pic of Scrap Metal and then look at mine, i think i'm pretty close. I think it's the angle and closeness of my pic. I'm happy. Thanks Guys'.

23. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Mine have a 1 1/4" gap from the door top to the bottom of the drip rail.. Measurements can vary if there is any door sagging, however...

24. ty johnson

ty johnson