Register now to get rid of these ads!

289-c4 in a duece chassis. Words of wisdom needed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by solid, Feb 21, 2009.

1. solid

solid

I have changed my mind a few times getting ready for this build. I need some advise, for putting a sbf/c4 in my gennie duece chassis. I am going to run a mechanical fan, and wonder if any one in hamb land has some wise words, or know of any magic parts that i will need in doing so. I had it roughed in for sbc/turbo350 already, but changed my mind. I have donated the chev to a buddys project.

2. 63Compact

63Compact

Go for it I have a sbf and auto in my 32 roadster but I dont run a fan. If you want any pics P.M. me and I'll send you some. Good luck take heaps of pics and keep us posted.

3. eric15739

eric15739
    from Detroit

If you are still in mock up stage then make sure you get the fan close to the radiator and parallel if possible. I have a 302 and made that mistake. I have about a 6 in gap and sometimes have cooling issues at low speeds.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

4. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Why not use the "short" water pump from ford racing and save yourself an inch and a half in engine length.

5. Mine has a early water pump, which is shorter than the later one. I run a mechanical fan, mechanical fuel pump, GM style alt (although I used to have the Ford Alt in the same place. For oil filter you need a short one, I use the Fram PH16 Extra Guard. You can see the water pump, oil filter, fuel pump and non recessed firewall in this pic.
    [​IMG]

6. Uptown83

Uptown83

i have a sbf with a t5 in my 32.. Im running a mechanical fan. No idea if i have the short water pump or not.. its all stock from a 83 mustang. I have only about a inch or so from my fan and radiator.

7. Weasel

Weasel

Early SBF water pumps exit on the passenger side (but are not much shorter), so you can use a radiator set up for a SBC, which are much more common and, hopefully cheaper than Ford specific radiators - especially used radiators. Snow White's shorty water pump conversion (standard rotation) is what I use when I need a shorter installed length . www.snowwhiteltd.com

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  8. bluestang67

bluestang67

Short water pumps were available in 94-95 Mustangs and 5.0 Explorers of similar years . They are reverse rotation due to the serpentine in the Mustangs . I picked a system up to stuff under the hood of my Model A with some cutting the A/C - p/s bracket it will have air. .

[​IMG]

9. Actually the pass side pumps (early) are 5.42" from the back of the pump to the pulley flange while the drivers side versions (late) are 5.75". Not a lot, but when you have the wrong pulleys it's all the difference in the world.
    I have run the Snow White version on my Model A which uses an Opel water pump.
    Ford Racing used to sell a nice short pump with V Belt pulleys but they dropped it and only have a serpentine version now.

10. Weasel

Weasel

Snow White conversion - on a Cleveland block - but similar to 289/302W conversion.

[​IMG]

11. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My advice is to run an electric fan!!----No problems-- 300,000 miles now!!

12. I started out with a 99 explorer 5.0. I used an adapter and a reverse rotation fan. The centerline of my fan is low enough that it wasn't going to be enough to run the ac or run around town in slow traffic. I bought the Walker electric fan and removed the mech fan. I think I'm in good shape now but I won't know until it gets to 100 degrees out. I also have a full hood if that makes any difference and my current engine is a 347. I used the explorer alt. mount and idler on the large alum. bracket. I used an Alan Grove compressor mount on the left hand side. The alternator barely clears the hood after off setting the engine about.375" to the left in construction. I also have the short oil filter but have since found one that napa sells that is about half the lenght of the short one. I saw it on a guys t-bucket a few years ago. I don't have a clearance problem with the filter. I also used a unisteer rack for steering.