Register now to get rid of these ads!

283 SBC manifold question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eagletucky, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

Just bought a 62' Impala with a 238, 2 barrel carb, all stock. The stock 2 barrel needs to be gone through. Rather than screw with that I think I might go with a 4 barrel/manifold upgrade. I've spent some time on the edelbrock and Holley websites but came away more confused. (Dont want to spend that much cashola either)

Saw a few stock 4 barrel manifolds on egay, but kind of worried about universal fit.

My next door neighbor just gave me a Carter afb 4 barrel. Is there a manifold that this carb would work on? Should I not even try this carb?

So lay it on me. What should I be looking for.

Thanks,

Timmy

2. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

I'm pretty sure they are all the some. Some manifolds you can buy with or without the oil filler up front and some come with a boss than you can opt to drill out. This is important because early 283(maybe all?) had the oil filler neck up front. Most importantly choose a manifold that is good for you application, don't just buy any SBC 4bbl manifold off of E-bay without knowing what it is.

3. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

I'm building a '65 283, I'm leaning towards an offenhauser 360 degree manifold, which is a split single plane. I have read good things but havent talked to anybody who runs it yet.

4. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

buick4me

The Carter AFB should work with the stock 4brl manafold for a 283. I know, cuz that's what I'm currently running. However, I'm fixin' (Yes I'm from Texas) to get my hands on an Edelbrock EPS manafold and a matching Edelbrock 600 cfm carb.

So, if I were you the quickest and most easy way to get to some better performance is to just buy a used stock 4brl manafold and slap that Carter on it. I rebuilt mine, and it is easy. You can do it!

5. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

I agree with Lucky Strike, a stock 4bbl manifold would be a good choice.

6. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

Thats what I wanted to here!!!

Thanks Guys,
    Timmy

7. squirrel

squirrel

ummmm...that AFB will only fit on just a few stock Chevy 4bbl intakes, they were used mostly in the mid 60s on Vettes, and had either AFB or Holley carbs.

Most 4bbl intakes for the old chevys used the 4GC or WCFB, which is smaller than the AFB. The later 4bbl intakes starting in mid 60s were mostly for the Quadrajet, and the throttle bore holes are way different.

Something like this might work ok, although a dual plane would be better. This one has the square carb flange, and the oil filler tube (which was not used after about 1968)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8004408643

8. 392_hemi

392_hemi

You can get an Edelbrock Performer brand new for about $200. It's a real good intake for a stock or mildly modified motor.

9. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

I'd rebuild the 2-barrel.

Installing a 4-barrel intake and carb is a lot of added cost and hassle for little or no gain. A properly rebuilt stock 2-barrel will run quite well, it's a better match for a stock 283 than any 4-barrel aftermarket intake or carb.

Sometimes leaving things like the factory intended isn't such a bad deal. :cool:

10. Be careful that the cam will support the extra fuel. I've seen too many over carbed engines than under. Some stock cars use killer 2 Barrels rated at 500 cfm. Check out related suppliers. Nothin' wrong at all with a strong runnin' 2bbl v-8!! My 69' 327 Impala frickin flew with only 2 barrels. JT :cool:

11. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

What type of heads are on the 283? I've got a 64 283, 2 bbl. engine that came with Power Pack heads (raised triangle on the end of the heads). I ended up finding a factory (1961) 4 barrel intake and Roch. 4GC carb. for it. Simple upgrade, it runs pretty well, and the gas mileage isn't too bad either.

12. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

If you go to one without the oil filler in it you will need to change valve covers to put oil in. Kind of obvious but I'm wanting to use my old chevrolet script covers and am looking for a edelbrock c3b to use.

Tim