Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 283 in a 55 pontiac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by keith27T, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Just wondering if a 283 will fit in a 55 pontiac?
    Looking at an add that has a 55 pontiac and looks to me that it has a 283 in it. Anyone know what would have to have been done to make this fit? Its an automatic trans in it.
    Wondering what to look for? 131997780_10158408042254331_2916450622727350266_o.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Canadian Pontiacs used Chevrolet engines and running gear.
    KK

Hnstray, egads, hillbilly and 2 others like this.
  3. Lots of room... that SBC is a lot smaller than the Pontiac 287, and considerably lighter.

loudbang likes this.
  4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

And the shorter Chevrolet wheelbase.

loudbang likes this.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

This. Also note how US firewall differs from Canadian model.
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  6. goldmountain

goldmountain

Does it have the elusive Canadian SBC Pontiac valve covers?

scotty t and loudbang like this.
  7. So I am to assume any 283 will fit or would it
    have to be a 265 without changing the motor mounts? Trans will bolt right up?

8. That's a 283 or a 265 in there right? Not a ponty 287?

9. What he is asking/saying is the canadian Pontiacs which came with a SBC used sbc valve covers that said Pontiac on them. Those valve covers have a following since they are a Chevy part in Pontiac clothing...

loudbang likes this.
  10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Here's some photos I found on the interwebs
    49933871553_99173fdb96.jpg 17242967-1955-pontiac-laurentian-thumb.jpg

Max Gearhead and loudbang like this.
  11. I will have to check it out when I have a look at it. Picture from the add.

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see you're from Canada; are you sure that's not the way it came from the factory?

loudbang likes this.
  13. The fathers son said his dad had put a 327 in it and it has been in a car port ever since for 37 years.It looks more like a 283. But your right could be original. Will look at it on Sunday, and get back to you

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  14. Local guy has a US Pontiac. OP installed a 350 350 it looks like it grew there. Owner used an electric window kit for a Chevy in it also.

15. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Given all of this, I'll bet that the automatic transmission in that car is a PowerGlide.

17. 6sally6

6sally6

Keith..........265/283/327/350 Chevy engines all look alike on outward appearance (only these real Shivel-lay nutz can tell the difference by looking!) They all take up the same space under the hood. 350's are wayyy more plentiful so why not just swap it in and get the benefits of power and newer engine.
    6sally6

Atwater Mike likes this.
  18. goldmountain

goldmountain

The Canadian Pontiac is way different from its American counterpart. It is a Chevy with slightly different skin.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

That is a Chevrolet frame in the photo, not a Pontiac (US) frame (also Chevrolet radiator core support and inner fenderwells), Chevrolet radiator, master cylinder (U.S. Pontiacs had the master under the floor), steering column, battery box, etc. It has the Chevrolet V-8 mounts, so any SBC will bolt in (some, you may have to drill/tap the front mount bosses on the block, depending on the year). Should even have a Chevrolet dash, heater, etc in it. If it's an automatic, it'll be a Chevrolet Powerglide, the U.S. Pontiac's got the Hydramatics, and 55-56 U.S. Pontiac's got the Selctomatic (Sp?) 3 speed trans, 57 was when Pontiac's got the Chevrolet 3 speed. What's the VIN tag say? The "Canadian" Pontiac's had shorter hoods and fenders that the U.S. Pontiac's. And by the way guys, I have a pair of those SBC, 55-57, "Pontiac" valve covers (only used in the Tri-Five years, then they went with a sticker/decal), and NO, they're not for sale. They were given to me by a Canadian HAMBER. When you go looking for a new hinge or hood, it's going to have to be a "Canadian" Pontiac hood and Chevrolet hinge. You could bolt the entire doghouse from a "Canadian" Pontiac onto a same year Chevrolet, and vise versa. If it's a wagon, the tail lights will swap on each. If you decide to side mount the engine, you'll want to use a 55 Chevrolet side mount kit. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Budget36 and gotta56forme like this.
  20. Decided not to go this way.......
    Thanks hamb for all your input.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. Ducbsa

Ducbsa
    from Virginia

I learned to drive in my folks ‘ ‘55 Pontiac wagon with a 287 and 3 on the tree!

22. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Can anyone explain why GM went to all that trouble to make Pontiacs with Chevy running gear and modified sheet metal to sell in Canada?

Some sort of import/tax problems?

23. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Dave I thought they were made in Canada, but I don't know.

Pat

24. Not sure if it was lost in translation above, but there is/was a branch of GM in Canada in the 50's in atleast one canadian city. Other differences exist in canadian built GM products. Example: cowl tag is different on Canadian built GM's as compared to their US built counterparts. The colors available in those years could have similarities, but differences also. Pontiac's top model for some number of years was the Laurentian(?) as compared to the... Bonneville? or Starchief?... if I remember correctly. Someone from Canada will sort that out better.

Gotta56forme

25. goldmountain

goldmountain

There were tariffs and trade barriers between the two countries. The big three had factories in both Canada and the U.S. but Canada has a much smaller population. The American Pontiacs were sold to those who wanted a more upscale car than the Chevy. This upper class was way smaller in Canada so Pontiac dealers could not survive on just these customers so GM based their Pontiac on Chevy bases and built both on a common assembly line. Chrysler did the same with a Plymouth based Dodge. Ford covered the lower cost segment for their Mercury dealers by giving them Meteors which were a thinly disguised Ford. Ford dealers sold Monarchs which were modified Mercuries. Chrysler simplified there engine assembly by making the 25 inch long six common to all their cars but with different displacements. Clear as mud, right?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

To add to the above. "Fleet Mentality", what's easier to maintain and keep stock for? All the same type units or different type units.