Register now to get rid of these ads!

283 in a 34 pickup / Fire wall clearance?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choppedsled, Jun 13, 2010.

1. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

I know, I know, I'm going to be planting a little 283 Chev in my 34 pickup. I'll be using an early Hurst mount located in the stock flathead mounting position on the frame. Any input into clearance with the stock firewall / 283. Will I need to recess a portion of the firewall for dist or 4 speed trans bell etc? Or can I get lucky and leave it alone? In the planning stages waiting on parts.

Thanks

2. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

you'll probably have to recess the firewall some to clear the distributor. that being said, mine originally had a 302/4 speed and it managed to clear without having a recessed firewall. it was mounted using the crossmember unit from a 57 ford--but that doesn't really help you. long story short, my guess is plan recess.

3. Yeah,,your going to do a little cutting,,this is a old photo of fellow club member Dave's 34 that just happens to be running a 283,,he also had to use a short water pump. HRP

[​IMG]

4. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

my 327 fit and it is channeled 5 in.....no recess was needed...short pump....

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I got my SBC in the first one that I did about 30 years ago now without cutting the firewall. I used an original 34 radiator and the standard short water pump and mech. fan. It was close but I didn't have to make a recess. I was dead set against a recess in the firewall and it worked for me. I don't have any pictures of the engine compartment. Film was too much trouble for me back then. The only pictures that I have were taken by others. It can be done with some careful locating. I used side motor mounts but that should not make any difference. I used the 350 auto like most of the guys did back then. A 4 spd bellhousing should fit the same. I used an X frame kit from somebody that replaced my nonexistent factory X frame. My frame came with a piece of 3" channel iron for a center Xmember bolted to the bottom of the frame. I like the look of a stock firewall and it was important to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did not build my Stude powered 34 that I presently have but the Stude is longer than a Chevy. In this case the builder moved the radiator about and inch or so farther forward than stock. I can't run a stock hood but that's ok with me.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  6. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen a few '34's with sbc and stock firewalls.. Ones in my garage. It's tight but it fits.

7. madmak95

madmak95

well... im putting a Desoto Hemi in my '34 .....wonder if it will fit?:D

8. fleetside66

fleetside66

[​IMG]

Just to give you a better idea of the fitment thing, here's a shot of my 283 in my '33. I didn't have a stock firewall to start, so I made a flat one utilizing the stock cowl lip for the anchoring point. The upper part of the firewall is recessed about 1/2" from the lower part, so it's not completely flat. As you can probably make out, there is a lot of room, obviously. I always wondered what I would have done with a stock firewall. I would have not hesitated to recess it.

9. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

Thanks Everyone, definitely looks doable. I'll get my frame finished in the next week or so and mock up the engine with the Hurst mount and see where I'm at. Hopefully it'll slip in there with a minimum of effort. I love the HAMB!