Register now to get rid of these ads!

283. Chevy. Problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vega1, Oct 30, 2012.

1. just as a said....why don't more people listen to me?

2. I listen to you all the time, but don't tell 36-3window, its a secrete. ;)

3. I'm sure people listen to you , really I am.
    Very few read what anybody says here on the hamb.
    Now if you made YouTube video of you speaking your post or wrote a big " ITS THE PCV " sign and posted a picture of it , maybe then.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  4. burgessdg

burgessdg
    from Morris, Il

I know some of this has been said. Dan Timberlake said it well. But for your consideration in the future... Oil induced into the induction system especially at at an RPM above idle and under load, will burn in the combustion process. Rings, pistons, ring gaps, will allow oil into the cylinder on every stroke. So, it is only being burned on the firing or combustion stroke. On the other strokes it is being passed thru the exhaust, partially burned in a hot exhaust system. Similarly if it's guides and/or valve seals it will be a constant leak during all 4 strokes and again be passed thru the exhaust system. That is the source of the "smoke" (the other 3 strokes)

So, if you're eating oil with no signs of leaks or smoke, look to where the intake system is sucking it in. On pre '68 Chevy's using a PCV, first place to suspect is at the baffle in the valley. Many people do not understand the PCV system. If you are going to apply a vacuum to the crankcase, you have to apply that vacuum in a place and manner that it cannot find oil to suck into it, and a place for air to enter the crankcase (breathers) so the vacuum doesn't suck gaskets into the motor.

My 2 cents,
    Dan

5. Just to throw in a question in my mind.
    What if the bottom of the intake is cracked and the engine draws oil from the intake valley? I've seen a cracked stock Corvette 283 2x4 intake.
    Is there a cheap fix?

6. von Dyck

von Dyck

A freshly rebuilt engine will have very good compression and completely burn any oil entering the combustion chamber (like a diesel).

Has anyone considered checking to see if the lifters have the "piddle valve" located under the pushrod seat? If that valve is missing, the rocker cover area receives unmetered amounts of oil (especially at sustained highway speeds) and the drain-back holes are inadequate to return that volume of oil back to the pan. This floods the valve stems in oil, and is sucked into the combustion chamber to be burnt.
    At least this was a problem on a completely rebuilt 425" Olds I diagnosed in the mid'70s, no piddle valves in the lifters! Installed the correct lifters and the oil consumption problem was curred.
    Just sayin'. The other suggestions are equally valid.