Register now to get rid of these ads!

283 build

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by OL65GMC, Dec 30, 2018.

1. OL65GMC

OL65GMC

Hi guys, first of all thanks to all who share their knowledge and experience for fun and for free. Learned a lot already here.
    Little introduction... Not long ago I picked up a 65 gmc 1/2 step with original 230, later sync 3 speed on floor, Hurst linkage set up, and a bunch of other upgrades (seat, gauges carpet ect). Runs good now that I finaly figured out the cam timing was off. Recently I sold another truck I had and picked up a 65 suburban as part trade. The suburban is rusted throughout but has some good parts, including an original 283. Block casting 3849852. Power pack 986 heads. Engine has 140-150 psi compression and ran before I yanked it yesterday. I'm looking to build it and put it in my step side. I know there is a lot of threads here on 283 builds, I've read em, most go off on the direction of why a 350 is better or go find 305 heads ect and the debate that follows. Great information but I want to build the best I can get out of the block and heads I have. I don't have unreasonable expectations, not looking for 350hp or 10 sec. ETs, I'm going to drive it (a lot) so winding up to 7000 rpm isn't practical either. I just want to have a good sounding, reliable little hot rod motor to cruse around town and the car culture events here around Sacramento. Sorry so long winded but tried to cover what will be asked. Thanks in advance. Oh, looking for machine shop here in Sacramento as well if anybody is around here.