Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 28 modified build downunder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by striper, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

naaaaaaah mate!

Do it full-Aussie!

Say,"bugger that..its gettin too hard...I'm gonna call in the union and have them give reasons why work must stop NOW and never continue!!!!!":D

2. 54velox

54velox
    from Australia

How about an update?

3. Update!!!!

C'mon, best HAMB thread and you keep up dangling.

Danny

4. wandi harry

wandi harry

great photos ,will follow your project with interest.nice work.
    my baby is a 29 coupe minnus chassis so just trying to get different ideas.;

5. Hahaha.. the true Australian way !

6. could the unmodified steering box be placed on the left side of the cowl, set up for left hand drive?

7. striper

striper

No,

Have a read of the original thread I did on reversing the box. I talked about that. (Check your PMs)

Here's the link if anyone else wants to look at it.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64204

8. striper

striper

Sorry, haven't done much in the last week or so.

Martin came up and we pulled down my Caddy 390 just for fun. Not really much fun. The dick I bought it from left it outside and the bores filled up with water. Couple of bad ones. It's a good thing we pulled it down when we did to get it all dried out.

More on the '28 soon

Pete

9. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Common guys you can keep this going, the best ever Aussie Thread on the HAMB!

10. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

Just stumbled across this thread and read the whole lot. Great pictures and thanks for putting in explanations of what you did. Invaluable for us young novice rodders.

11. striper

striper

OK.

I still haven't done much. I work shift work and have worked a lot of the weekend, but that frees up some time during the week. Hopefully I should have something to show by midweek.

In the meantime, I sat my windscreen on the body to show my mate, Martin, the other day.

It's a home built Hallock style screen. It's all steel (1/8") and has been jet hot coated. I didn't finish it quite as well as I should have prior to coating. I thought that coating was kind of thick and might hide sanding marks and the odd pit. No, they show up real good. I decided to leave it that way in keeping with the overall theme of the car. A little bit rough.

I wish i took pics as I built this screen because it was kind of interesting if I say so myself.

It was based on a Weesner illustration, but it came out fairly close in general shape and proportions to Steve Sellers screens. Maybe he copied Keith's drawing too. His finish is a lot better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The glass is just sitting in the channel. It will get glued in with black silicone

[​IMG]

More progress soon

Pete

brEad likes this.
  12. Ted H

Ted H

Looks great!! I've been away from the HAMb for several months,But I'm back. I have followed your build with great interest-one of the best builds I've seen in almost 5 years on the HAMB.
    Ted

13. Striper,

That windshield is perfect. Great shape! The whole car is going to rock!

Danny

14. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

That screen just SCREAMS "Dick Dastardly".....uberkool!!!!!

15. Great update ............I just love that screen

16. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Killer! I don't know how I missed this til now. Good luck, so far it kicks ass!

17. striper

striper

Neeeah ha ha

18. So do we Binga,because we know it would have been an educational one,judging by the final product.;) Striper,this build is incredibly well thought out and informative for all of us,new to this or a veteran. Thanks so much for the effort,and also all the great ideas.:D

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  19. WOW....!!

Super nice work dude.....that is gonna be one sano ride when done. I love it, esp that Hallock screen you built.

Beautiful work mate !!

Rat

20. Phil1934

Phil1934

21. striper

striper

Thanks. I hope it all works when I put all together.

Cheers Rat. I'm sure the photos are hiding a multitude of sins.

Yep. Those are the guidelines we talked about earlier in the thread. They are fairly informative and I've used them to a certain extent. Trouble is, they are not ratified in all states, in particular, Victoria, where I live.

Good pick up though.

Pete

22. Jamin

Jamin
    from Australia

Great write up Pete, your cowl steering should give a lot of local guys food for thought. You know sometimes you rack your brain trying to figure out the best way to tackle a problem and all the time it's right under your nose. I am assuming you are using the HK Pitman arm??? Good luck with the rest of the build and keep us all up to date.

23. man pete that is some crazy stuff! great work, let me know when it's getting close as it looks like cover car material!!! p.s. blown away!!

24. striper

striper

Yes, I am using the HK pitman arm. The only problem I can foresee might be the steering box ratio, being from a big car. Won't know until I drive it though.

Thanks Ryan,

Glad you like it. I should have a complete rolling chassis with drive line in a month or so, I hope.

Got issue 2 the other day. Looking good. I liked reading about how naiive your old man was in the early days. That's funny.

You gonna drive your roadster to the Picnic this year?

25. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis

This is a fantasic thread.

26. striper

striper

I just got a PM from 29paul asking me about my windscreen. I figured that if I'm going to describe the process I might as well put it up here for everyone to read. As I mentioned, I didn't take photos, but I'll try to describe the process.

Fitting the bottom of the screen to the cowl is the hardest part because you are trying to fit a flat section to a compound curve. I'm no mathematician but I quickly realised that it is like taking an angled slice through the cowl.

That all being said, this is where you need to start. Once you have that bit worked out, whatever you choose to do above is up to you.<O:p

<O:p</O:p

So, at this point you work out the angle of the screens, left and right i.e. how far forward you want the centre pillar.

Next you decide on the lay back angle. You need to do this at the start because it will affect the angle that the screen dissects the cowl and therefore the exact location of that line (remembering it&#8217;s a compound curve).

I decided the easiest way to start this process was to use a piece of 10 mm round bar (3/8&#8221;) and bend it to the shape of the cowl where the screen would meet the cowl. You need to be careful to keep the rod flat in one plane. That piece of rod actually became the base of the screen later on.

So I had cut a thin plywood centre pillar to get that angle right and bent some rod to sit nicely on the curve of the cowl. Next I traced off the rod onto another piece of plywood and cut that curve. That piece of plywood should go close to fitting the cowl at the desired angle. Leave extra on the other 3 sides for trimming. First you trim where it meets the centre pillar. Then you can trim the side which will become your outer pillar and last you trim the top to the height and shape you want your windscreen.

I should make note that you do all this on one side first as it gives you a head start on the other side. Of course it isn&#8217;t as easy as just flipping your template. Do you think that a 28 / 29 cowl is symmetrical?

You mess around a bit until you are happy with the fit to the cowl and the overall shape. Decide how wide you want the finished frame to be and transfer the outline to 1/8&#8221; plate. Cut it out.

It&#8217;s not a bad time to make your centre pillar and work out how you want to fix it to the cowl. Hard if you are planning on using the tank. Once you have the centre pillar securely in place, you have somewhere to work from.

I had already cut off the top of my original windscreen pillars and welded on plates with captive nuts underneath. I made plates to match which become the mounting plate for the screen. With these bolted in place and the centre pillar bolted in place I tacked the piece of 10 mm rod to the centre pillar and the outer mounting plate. Cut out the first section of 1/8&#8221; plate and it should meet the centre pillar and follow the rod across the top of the cowl. I tacked it to the pillar and the rod.

Do the same on the other side.

You now have what looks a bit like a Hallaock windscreen. The 10 mm rod provides for a 10 mm gap for the glass to fit in. I&#8217;m using 6 mm (1/4&#8221;) toughened with a 2 mm bead of silicone each side.

You then need to make the inside pieces to create the channel. The outside templates won&#8217;t work but it&#8217;s a starting point. You are further back on the cowl and the shape is quite a bit different. So you basically follow the same process to do the inside as the outside and weld it all together. You need to make sides for your left and right pillars and maybe the odd fill piece here and there, like the tops of the pillars.

Then you have to grind and sand a lot. I used a belt linisher to do most of the finishing because you want nice flat surfaces and square edges.

Once it was all together I cut templates for the glass out of corrugated cardboard.

Again, they are different, left and right.

You have to have patience and be prepared to change things as you go.

I threw away the first section of plate I cut out. I made several templates for the glass before I had the shape I wanted. I think I made the centre pillar twice.

I know this would make a lot more sense with photos but it can&#8217;t be helped. I&#8217;ve done my best to remember the steps I went through. Hope it helps.

Pete

brEad likes this.
  27. Dyce

Dyce

Thanks for the explaination. I've been really enjoying watching the build. Nice work!!!

I used a shrinker-stretcher to make a pattern of the cowl when I made my frame. Like this.....
    [​IMG]
    But I made the frame different too. Double click the picture for more pics.
    Jeff

28. hi Pete, i have Paul Librio coming around soon to help TIG up the headers
    and i'm waiting on dirt track fronts from the states before the stock front axel
    goes in. I'm in the process of getting the her running with a 2x2 intake for the chopped show so all goes well i should be able to slip down to the picnic in it! cheers