Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 28 Model A Coupster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40FordDeluxe, Jul 26, 2013.

1. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

I picked this up and need some guidance. I think this is a 28 or 29 sport coupe with the roof cut off. I know it is missing all inner structure, but it isn't super rusty and I feel it is a really good start. The guy I got it from said it was a coupe cut down to a roadster and was a complete hot rod at one time. He said the guy he got it from had it as yard art but moved and had no room for it. To me the quarters appear to be a roadster, but the doors and cowl are from a coupe. This is why i'm thinking it was a sport coupe. What do you guys think? I also need your input on the inner structure. Should I purchase new sub frame for the body or just build it to suit my build? I will be building the frame myself as I will need to lengthen the front area. I'm contemplating buying new doors for a roadster, as these doors's body lines aren't the same. I plan to purchase a new deck lid and rear panel that goes below it. I'm kind of thinking of doing a Highboy style but not real sure on that yet. Here are some mock up pics of what I have to start with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ty johnson

ty johnson

Looks like a good start of a project. Imagination and lots of hard work and one could defeat any task at hand.

3. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

It's a coupe with the roof removed. Still cool in my book though!

4. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I saw that on craigslist. Since you're missing so much inner structure that you're gonna have to build new yourself, you might as well make the subfloor yourself. Roadster doors are gonna cost each as much as you spent on that whole body so you might as well use what you got. Good luck, you have a bunch of fabrication ahead of you!

5. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

Looks like you've been on HAMB for a while, spend some time lookin at roadster/coupster build threads and determine what style you like and how much you're willing to bite off. You have a long road ahead of you but it's definitely doable. I look forward to seeing your progress.

6. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Another coupester....welcome to the club!!! There's a number of threads on here, check out TexasSpeed's and mine, latest two coupester builds that I know of. TS's is turning it almost into a straight up roadster, mine is a little more sport coupe proportion (chopped doors, shortened body....just my own prefs...I'm 6'3"). I need to do a new update, though...just got some cool things done recently. Good luck!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Yep, thats a sport coupe. I'd use what you have....the doors go with that body....and build it up from there. Cool find, and welcome to the sport coupe club!

8. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Thanks guys! I have been watching a 30 cuope on the local CL and I thought about buying it and using it for all the inner structure. It's kind of pricey I think because it was laying on it's LH side. It's a 5 window coupe but the LH roof and coupe portion are really rusty. If it had doors I'd probably be less hesitant.

9. rodderbilly

rodderbilly
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from italy
    1. Rockabillies of the HAMB

Welcome to the coupester club...yeah this is a sportcoupe...mine has the panel above trunk lid from the roadster...i put a hallock windshield too....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]