Register now to get rid of these ads!

28/29 Model A sedan build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bustingear, Oct 11, 2009.

1. bustingear

bustingear

Well I just wanted to let my fellow HAMB bones to know what I have been up to. I have been puttering around with a model a sedan which is my third fun car in the stable.
    The car was purchased off of E-bay and it was only frame up. I deadheaded about 8 hours to southern Wisconsin from Columbus, loaded in an hour and right back all in the same day. The guy i bought it from saw it while he was hunting in Montana and bought it from the rancher who owned it. I managed to sell off most things except the body and came out in good shape. Patch panels have been added all the way around. The gas tank was literaly a rats nest to the top and stunk to the high heavens. When heating the drivers door hinges I smelled a rat. It was exactly that when I pulled off the garnish moulding there he was white/grey and toasted. He had been there for some time. Pulling the rig with a 4 cylinder jeep, I felt like running along side to get up the hills! Well here goes. It now sports a 73 Chevy 350 truck motor bored 60 over with fulie double hump heads, 4" lakeheaders bought from that dude in MN that lists here on the HAMB and he does nice work, Tunnel Ram with two rebuilt Holly 94's, A set of vintage cal custom knock off valve covers (survivors) 55 chevy truck bellhousing, 65 Malibu 3 speed, 73 hurst shifter, 57 chevy rear with 4:10's, Mid 30's BLC light buckets, spring behind with drop axle, new wood kit stained and urethaned, I am seeking one of the waterpump risers needed to center the fan. If anyone has a deal on one of these let me know. I am at chop stage now. 3 or 4 , 3 or 4???

Just after I wrote this I went outside and proceeded to spend 1/2 of sunday wacking the top. I remarked from 3" for 4" and am really happy with it. For you channel fans that will have to wait for the next owner as it beyond my sphere of influence:) But thanks for the suggestion. Here are the pix.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  2. the car is looking good , not sure about the chop , looks like you got her marked at 4 inches?

3. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

Leaving the big rear window... that will look neat

4. 31modelo

31modelo

2 Holley 94's for a 30 over 350 seems a little slim on CFM's. Looks good, I'd channel and not chop only so those cheaters fill the wheel wells. 2 cents

5. SpeedyPAt

SpeedyPAt
    from Spokane Wa

Looks good so far keep us posted

6. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Take pics of the chop. I may need a "How To" if I can muster up the balls.

7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Nice work, more pic's would be nice.

8. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I agree - looks great un-chopped . Good work so far .

9. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

X1000

Nothing like a virgin, unchopped A.

10. Nice progress. I agree with 31 Modelo about the channel. Here is a photoshop of your Tudor channeled. Unfendered A's benifit from a slight channel by hiding the frame and tire to fenderwell proportion.

Attached Files:

11. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

NO CHOP!!!!!Like it the way it is!

12. cool, keep the pics coming.

13. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

this one has no chop or channel. I agree that hiding the fender well by the tire would help it out.

Attached Files:

14. bustingear

bustingear

Thanks for all of the comments. This was my first chop and I found that it great fun and I really like to do this type of work. NEXT bring them on!

15. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

looking good!!
    makes my 30 sedan jealous just looking at it lol

16. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

You've made a great start,keep us posted.

17. bustingear

bustingear

Chris thanks for the PHOTO CHOP DROP! Unfortunately that will have to wait. Just a tad beyond my skill set. I suppose I could if i tried but time is tough to get to it.

18. Big Tony

Big Tony

Using this in my knowldge bank to chop mine...my question is why did you chop the middle post higher than the back or front?

19. hvychvy

hvychvy

Lookin good keep us posted!!!Like said, more pics please..

20. That really looks good, please keep us posted.

21. No problem Dennis, I am glad to help the 'visual'. Personally I think it is a lot easier to channel an A than to chop it, just due to not having to metal finish the fabrication.
    But I definitely know what you mean about the 'time' quotient.

22. bustingear

bustingear

The higher you chop it the easier it is to bend the post back into shape via the relief cuts. Keep in mind that the post gets narrower at the top. Spread the top relief cut and pinch the bottom releif cut. Does not really matter where you take it out as loong as it is the same all around. i would not even try lower in the front than the back. The position on the a piller cuts was motivated by the position of the hinges, braces and window mechanisms. I wanted to maintain integrity and support. You want to make sure that you cut the posts below the turn of the windows.

23. bustingear

bustingear

here are some pix after the 3" channel. No surprise it looks just like the Photo Chop that was done by Chris above. I am liking it more every day

Attached Files:

24. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Now you're cooking! We need more pics please.

25. bustingear

bustingear

26. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

she's looking good!!! keep posting the updates

27. HotRod33

HotRod33

Looks great.... and I am glad you got rid of the rats nest and the rat.... we didn't need another rat rod here on the hamb.... [sorry I couldn't help it....]

28. bluestang67

bluestang67

Any updates on this build

29. bustingear

bustingear

Well i thought it was about time to drop in some pictures. The muncie peanut 3 speed will not work. 1st is a joke in and out so i am working on a T5 to get a wider gear spread.

Attached Files:

30. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Looks good.. I like the intake and carb set up...