Register now to get rid of these ads!

'28 / '29 cowl support

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jmountainjr, May 21, 2011.

1. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen many posts showing differing approaches to adding support to the cowl area. Most were part of significant floor / body mods and /or support for cowl steering. For my '29 roadster I wanted to add some support for the firewall mounted brake cylinder and steering column. I'm running side steering, but the box is frame mounted so I didn't need super strong bracing. I wanted something that didn't involve significant mods and that could be removed if wanted. I decided on two hoops made from 1"x .125" DOM that had removable feet. I wanted the front hoop to drop through the toe board to the lower sill and the rear hoop to set ahead of the cowl / body connection. I replaced the wood cowl sill filler with one fabbed from 1"x2"x.125" rectangle. I also added a second frame attachment at the cowl front and a threaded slug for the rear hoop support when I fabbed the filler. The front of the filler needed a piece of 16 GA material to get a tight fit in the body sill. The feet have a locating section that fits into the DOM and contain a recessed socket head cap screw up from the bottom. As things progress the front hoop will brace the firewall and support the brake pedal setup and the hoops will get tied together. The rear hoop will brace the dash and steering. Not all that ground breaking, but it does add some support and with the exception of the holes in the toe board it doesn't require mods that you can't undo if needed. Many thanks to Steve (ELpolacko) who bent up the two hoops for me.

Attached Files:

2. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

nice, i gotta show this to my brother for his 29.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work, that looks some stout and up to the task.

4. Neat!

Serviceability on custom built cars is always appreciated down the line.

Glad I could provide.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. river1

river1

something the OEM builders don't seem to think about.