Register now to get rid of these ads!

28-29 closed cad pickup question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mow too much, Apr 7, 2013.

1. mow too much

mow too much

I need to start a new project, I have always liked 28-29 closed cab pickups but..........can a FAT guy fit into one, I'm 5'11" 240, so is there anybody out there who is a little on the "plump" side have one of these trucks and how did you gain a little room. My doctor has told me to lose wait.....fat boy:eek: and I don't want to extend the cab because that ruins the look I like.

2. It's all in the seat. If you make one with a thin back you should fit. I know a guy thats 6'2"has no trouble. Oh and don't resese your fire wall

3. I'm 6'4" and 230 and have a 32 pickup,as you get older it gets harder to wad up and get in and drive 500 miles!:D HRP

4. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I'm 5'11" 220 and don't have a problem.I agree with the above don't recess the firewall except a little in the center if needed.keep the pedals as far forward as possible and a thin seat.I would try to find one to set in if you can ,even a stock one will do to check fit.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Getting rid of the angled toe boards gains you a few more inches.

6. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Can't say enough about Thin Seatbacks and Tilt Wheels in these Lil Pickups

Attached Files:

7. mow too much

mow too much

8. I always loved the look of a full fendered unchopped 28-29 closed cab pickup but I'm 6'2" and just don't think I could comfortably fold myself up into something that small. Here's a thread on a guy in a similar situation and how he dealt with it.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266505

9. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I got my rear corners made 2 inches wider which helped for the seat, however lost 4 inches when recessing the firewall.

Very tight vehicle to sit in.
    I had a stock version and also found that tight for different reasons as the stock seating sits you more upright but found my knee hitting the underside of the steering wheel when wanting to brake.

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well, this might sound a bit weird and long winded, but I have a roadster pickup I handled this way. I'm 6'1" and a weird alien/Swede mix that is mostly legs, so in setting up my truck it parmount NOT to cut the fire wall. How I got around that was to use a '26-'27 "T" bed instead of the "A" The two beds are the same dimensions and shape except for two things. The fender mounts on an "A" are stamped sheetmetal half rings that spot weld to the sides, and the axle centerline on the "T" bed is 2 1/2" farther forward. Center the "T" bed on the axle centerline, and slide the cab back 2 1/2" so you don't have to touich the fire wall for a small block. Stretch the hood 2 1/2". Easier than it sounds...