Register now to get rid of these ads!

270 Offy...... My trade of a lifetime

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bobby Green, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

I have been quite elated these past few weeks with my new acquisition, and thought I would share it with everyone.........

I had become aware a couple months ago of a 270 Offy motor that a friend of mine had for sale. I sadly shrugged it off, knowing that it was definitely out of my budget.

First off, I never thought I would ever have the means to purchase such an expensive and desirable motor, but when the chance came to trade stuff for it, I couldn't pass it up.
    Now, if you've ever been to the Old Crow shop, you would know that I have been collecting a lot of old junk for years, having gone to numerous swapmeets, garage sales and road trips over the last 15 years or so, and I have amassed quite a collection. And I've realized lately that most of it was just gonna collect dust, because I would never use it, so I decided to let a bunch of it go in exchange for the ultimate racing 4 banger of all time ! The Offy.

Here she is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is some very interesting history on this motor. The motor was built by Offy/ Meyer-Drake in 1947 and is engine number 95. It was sold to an Ernie Wolff and ran in the Champ / Indy circuit. The engine disappeared from radar until the 1960's, when Buster Warke, a very well known Offy builder on the East Coast, teamed up with friend and machinist Fred Maurer to convert the engine to run on the street and was installed in Fred's Jaguar XKE coupe. (Imagine racing that around the streets in the 60's) It was then driven on the street for 10 years. (Believed to be the only Offy to see 40K miles of daily driving)

If you have Ken Walton's book : "Offy" there is a story about it on page 322. I spoke with Ken Walton a couple weeks ago, (A very nice gentleman by the way) and he filled me in on some of the history, and well as mailed me a copy of the original build sheet from the Offy archives. Very cool.
    My favorite parts of this unique motor, are the 90 degree Vertex mag drive, and the custom electric starter mounted to the side.

I am very honored to be the new caretaker of this motor, and have many plans for it,.... And sitting, collecting dust is not one of them. If you know me, you know that I don't care how rare something is, I'm gonna run it. LOL
    This motor, over the next couple years, will hopefully see the Salt as well as the street. I will keep everyone informed of it's progression.

For everyone's curiosity, below are some picture of the treasures I had to let go in order to get this motor. They are all most likely for sale, so if you see anything you need, PM me and I can put you in touch with the person that now has it all now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
    Stogy and Dean Lowe like this.
  2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Bobby is that a Hemi 4 Deuce intake? 331-354-392?

3. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Holy Shit.... i wanna hear that thing scream at 9grand...

4. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

WOW talk about the holy grail. I have dreamed about owning one of those. Kudo's to you

5. Weasel

Weasel

Not just any old Offy but a High Tower at that - you lucky dawg....

6. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Well done on the trade. We all have to do what we have to do to realise our dreams.

I recently let go of some NOS speed stuff for the Stovebolt 6 to buy an original 32 frame, so I know the feeling - a lot of a good feeling, tinged with a little regret.

How will you go with the length of the Offy fitting it into the tight confines of the Belly Tank?

7. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

neat story,,,,,,good luck with it,,

8. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

on the short list of great 4 holers, that would be near the top. congratulations.

9. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

No, It's a baby hemi. 241-270

10. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

Sooo...whats a rough dollar amount on something like this? Or is it a matter of what are you going to pay?

11. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

She won't fit in the tank, but I've got a new Bonneville project in the works. I will be posting some pictures soon.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quite a trade. I've always been a fan of the Offy engines since I was a young kid listening to the Indy 500 on the radio with my dad.
    Actually I'm not sure which is more impressive, the engine or the load of rare goodies that you gave up to get it but a guy can always accumulate another load of rare goodies.

I'll say one thing, If you run that one at Bonneville I'll make a supreme effort to be there to swatch and enjoy listening to the runs.

13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

That thing is too frickin cool. A piece of history, art and engineering marvel all rolled into one.

Make it a part of a special set of wheels and enjoy the hell out of it. They have a special sound unequaled by anything else.

14. Right on Bobby! You made a gooder deal! And yeah like someone else said you'll keep on grabbing lil collectible bits, but to get an Offy, wow!
    Can't wait to see what you put it in and what mileage it gets!:D

-Shiny

15. What a piece of history, and a great story to go with it. I cant wait to see it next time I am at the shop.

Good for you,

CBB

16. dropped65c20

dropped65c20

Just wanted to say nice trade. I am new to this site and i came across this Offy post. For many years i have worked at a local bar and years ago was lucky enough to meet and get to know jimmy Offenhauser. Sadly, he has left us this past year but the legend of his father and grandfather lives on in engines like this.

17. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

I figured you saw it when you were here a few weeks ago....Stop by anytime....Lucky

18. There is no other sound like the Bark of an Offy. Very Cool!

19. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Welcome to the board !

20. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

WOW! I think you definately got the better part of the deal. All the stuff on the table is pretty common compared to an Offy motor. Besides I didn't see your left nut on the table but I bet you would have given it up. You guys are having WAAY too much fun! Congrats!

21. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

As long as you didn't give up your soul, your first born, or either of your testicles you did good.
    Glad it went to someone who will run the crap out of it instead of pulling a Speedy Bill and displaying it.

22. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

No you don't. A 270 at 6000 maybe but never 9. It would have come apart long before it got there. Turbo 161s maybe.

23. jerry

jerry

THAT is the one style banger I would run! Props to you for not letting sit and gather dust. Old hot rod parts need to be out and doing what they were designed to do.

jerry

24. zzford

zzford

Jeez, it looks just like a Quad-four! are you sure you didn't get taken? (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

25. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Dust collectors or the baddest 4 banger in the world? That may go down as the best trade ever in the history of mankind.

26. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

I would definitily have given one. probably not two, but definitily one. LOL

27. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Damn!!!! We'll se you (and it) on the salt...

28. Very happy for you Bobby! Titus and I were talking along these same lines of thought yesterday. Priorities,hoard of parts, what does a guy really need? Well, I think most would agree that we ALL NEED an Offy! Just a very few will end up with them! You done good!

29. Scrumpy

Scrumpy
    from NH93 Exit1

That is too cool! Just one more reason to watch any new post from Old Crow. I have to ask, when are we going to see an update on the plans for this reggarding the salt?
    Scrump

30. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

40K with the same bearing? how many rings per piston?

Hope you tape the fire up for us to see and hear!!

I think you made a grate deal just to own it!