Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 270 Dodge Poly Before and After

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buckhog, Nov 21, 2012.

1. buckhog

buckhog

Well after months of machine work, hunting and waiting on parts, cleaning, painting, and assembly, my red Ram Poly is fresh and better than ever. So happy how it came out, that I just had to share!:D

Attached Files:

2. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

very good lookin` motor! is that a 390 holley?

3. buckhog

buckhog

Thanks, Yes it is.

4. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Super looking motor AND Savoy!!!

5. George

George

6. Looking Good!

Lee

7. Harris

Harris

8. servi53

servi53

9. ezdusit

ezdusit

Thanks for sharing. Beautiful engine.

10. 73RR

73RR

Any details that you'd like to share?

11. Yes, do tell . . . stock, overbore, cam, compression etc.

12. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

It's even better when you put it in the car and get to hear the horses sing. :D

13. Going in your avatar 56 ?

14. I applaud your efforts, would have been easier and cheaper to go the SBC route. I took the same course as you with my 59 Fury poly.

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Turned out great. Will look even better nestled down in the engine compartment making the fan go round and round.:)

Frank

16. buckhog

buckhog

Hey all, and thanks for the positive comments. It will be soon going in my (avatar) 56' Savoy, which was originally a 6 popper that needed a rebuild. So I figured I might as well make the switch now and re-build a v-8. I'm hard headed and wanted an engine from the time period of the car, which did cost me a little more but made me happy. The engine was originally a 270 from a 56' Dodge Coronet. Someone last had it in an old truck that was running when parked. I took most of it apart and started cleaning stuff up. Then I took the techinical hard stuff to a friend of mine who owns and operates a engine machine shop, mostly working with dirt stock car and sprint car motors. He did however grow up running these cars and is very good with early engines as well. I, myself am not an expert at engine building, and know just enough to be dangerous. anyways, we foud it to be .030" over from a previous rebuild and took .050" to clean up the cylinders, leaving me .080" over. I was a little weary bout this, but had the block sonic checked and found it to be fine. Egge had a set of pistons on the shelf for it. Predator cams reground the cam, and crank was remachined in house. Heads were all re-done in house too. Also has a 4bbl intake from Hot Heads, with a Holley 390 carb. So now it's up to me to make everything work. (Linkages, wiring, belts, exaust, hoses, ect...)

Anyone have any recomendations on mufflers for these motors? I want to hear it, but also want to hear myself think. Going with a new dual exaust, once I get it up and running.

Hope I didn't bore everyone to death!

Brad

17. George

George

Duals with turbo mufflers,perhaps?

18. kennkat

kennkat

Turns into a beautiful Swan!!:D:D:D

19. conormulroney

conormulroney

Very beautiful engine! Excellent job

20. buckhog

buckhog

Got an update! It's in the car! Worked all weekend in the garage, and I'm totally suprised how well things went. I have just a few things to go yet before it's first fire.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      191.5 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      183.1 KB
      Views:
  21. 4msfam

4msfam

Looks fantastic!

22. Hot damn! I bet it was a little easier to squeeze into that Savoy engine bay than my 259 Poly was to squeeze into a '49 Plymouth Special Deluxe! It looks like it was made to go in there - awesome work! There's just something about the valve covers on a mid-50's Polysphere motor, like they are grinning at you with those teeth.

23. buckhog

buckhog

Yeah, very happy with how it turned out. It went in fairly easy as the poly was available in my Savoy in '56. I just had some things to change over from the six banger. Got just a few more things to do before the moment of truth and the first fire up. I too like the looks of the Polysphere and actually passed on a nice set of Hemi heads and valve covers before my rebuild.

24. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

The engine looks good, the dual turbos sound good.