Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 27 Roadster with a 35 Grille

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stingbean, May 17, 2016.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Okay.......... it's growing on me. Slowly.

2. mike bowling

mike bowling

"There's a million ways to cook shriump" Bubba- ( in "Forest Gump")
    Same with grille applications-
    I think "onekoolkat57" posted a question about sticking one on a Model A ( Photoshop thread maybe?)
    I like it.

Stogy and Raunchy like this.
  3. SimonSez

SimonSez

I like it - it gives a nod to the Indy Fords and they were great looking cars!

[​IMG]

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right at the end on the mag article it says after 15 years Larry was parting with his ride. So some other lucky bugger got an opportunity to enjoy it. Like I said I was pretty sure it was a NY car show/swap I saw it at. Perhaps newly owned.
    Glad to share this with you all. It caught my eye then and still does to this very day.
    I like both versions with the mag version even better.
    You would think such a nice hotrod would have survived.
    The second owner seems to have guarded the original theme with minimal change. Ya never know. Perhaps the story will continue...with a good ending...I hope so...thanks again Stingbean

brady1929, dana barlow and Sancho like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What an awesome era in automobile. Workmanship was top notch. Innovation galore. Totally influenced what we love to do today. Planes,Trains & Automobiles.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  6. stingbean

stingbean

1990 Nats.jpg

I'm still digging through my old magazines in an attempt to de-clutter; found this picture of the car taken at the
    NSRA Nats. in the Dec. 1990 issue of "Street Rod Action".

hfh, chromelady, High test 63 and 4 others like this.
  7. kruzr

kruzr

Yes sir that's Larry ,sideburns and all . Used to hang a gas station rag out of back pocket years ago.

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Glad this thread has resurfaced. STILL love the look. The 35 might have the best Ford grille ever.

35cab and Stogy like this.
  9. Still love the car

Blues4U, Paul and Stogy like this.
  10. Blake 27

Blake 27

DUDE.jpg

Blues4U, reagen, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

dana barlow likes this.
  12. 35cab

35cab

Personally, I really like it, I am biased when it comes to 35 grilles as I think they are one of the nicest grilles going.
    I think this works really well, looks like it was sectioned and the references to track roadster noses and the Miller Fords all help.
    I have a good A frame, assorted early Ford running gear, 59A engine and a really solid (Argentinian) repro 35 grille, just need a 27 body.
    There was a photo in one of the Don Montgomery books with a 28/29 with a 35 grille on it, it should not have worked but it looked good to me, as did the 34 roadster that was on here a few years ago with a 35 grille. There is no doubt the grille looks best on a 35 but it is surprising how good it can look if done carefully.

hfh, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  13. I havent seen that model A pic in years, can you post it?

14. Good, it wasn't just me.

dana barlow and Blue One like this.
  15. I kind of think it works......on that car!! Shit I've even seen one on a Plane and that worked too. Looks better than a 32 Ford Grille on a 37 Ford Panel Truck...yes i saw one in AZ ! JW

WalkerMD and Stogy like this.
  16. Larry is still kicking, recently built a 28/29 ford roadster with those same ej headlights - he knows it is a love it or hate it element. The car is blue with a 3 in the tree and a flathead. It has a more traditional grille. He doesn’t really care what other people think, he builds what he wants, he lived through the traditional times. As far as I know he grew up in Windsor and moved to Burlington for work and has retired to Amherstburg. He shows it most Monday nights here locally. The A shares the garage with a baby bird and the Mercury pickup. How many guys do you know that have a v rod in their diningroom? Those side burns are original from back in the day. There comes a time …

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Day late...I took that pic Sting shared as mentioned...could have been Waterdown too...my mind is getting old...I never met him but he was in that pic...Say hi to Larry for us...I liked it then and I like it now...E & J's have their place here despite the naysayers...

Do you mind sharing a pic of his A Roadster if you can take one some day...if its Hamb Friendly of course...maybe Larry stayed away from billet some do some don't...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    brady1929 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  18. This picture was sent to me recently. Splash pans, wide five wheels painted the obligatory red and the E&J headlights he likes so much. Running, driving and being shown, I know he is trying to track down more hubcaps. 7275F491-3930-4ECB-B1B9-E454127205BC.jpeg

26 T Ford RPU and Stogy like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He's still got the vintage bug...yay!!...nice Hotrod...Thank you...;)

Does he know what became of the T?...I'm almost afraid to ask...never know though might have found a caretaker...

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  20. I’ll ask.

Stogy and Tman like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was reading the Streetrodder article and it was mentioned that he sold it in 96...back in the Thread...by me I think...:)

I'm surprised it hasn't shown up here through the new Owner or perhaps its seen a few by now...I'd have driven as is...add gas and Rumble...

kidcampbell71 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  22. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Having an opinion is one thing, saying another man's car looks like shit is a whole other thing

lurker mick, Squablow and WalkerMD like this.
  23. Email from Larry today- car was sold to Kirk White from Florida- Larry was a Florida snowbird and active in the Florida/Georgia swap meet circuit. From there the car went to California. Larry touched base with Kirk about 10 years ago and he indicated the car was in the hands of a New Jersey collector of traditional cars. That is what we know.

Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  24. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Put me in the I like it camp. I think it looks great.

Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.