Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 27 roadster Bonneville Roadster ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Jun 24, 2020.

1. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

You know my thoughts,,,,

Tman and loudbang like this.
  2. And the tape measure shows that could work just fine. Just gotta get all these building materials up in the shape of a house so I can actually work on something!

loudbang likes this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I wonder what the wb is on the Carrillo roadster ? The current minimum is 140 ".

loudbang likes this.
  4. I had it somewhere here but can't find it at the moment. My dilemma is building a traditional looking car while still fitting the modern rules. 5.B.1.a states "no alterations to the turtle deck allowed" yet many rear engine cars have head/engine nacelles going back to the chute pack

loudbang likes this.
  5. plan9

plan9

Yeah, the problem with the longer RMR wheelbase is the goofy elongated look. Mine was at the minimum length, it was meant for XF/XXF classes. I'll locate more photos for you Tman.

Tman and loudbang like this.
  6. Thanks!

loudbang likes this.
  7. Rear or front? I am torn!

Attached Files:

8. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Unless you hit the lottery I'd stay away from Flathead. Run something small and modern. Lot of good 3 & 4 liter engines around. The new Ford 4 cam turbo four come 350 Hp out of the box.

loudbang and Tman like this.
  9. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Go rear engine if you have a fire it's behind you.

loudbang and Tman like this.
  10. If I stay rear engine it will be so I can go back to my original Lakester classes when I am ready. The Jones for using this roadster body is just getting to me

loudbang likes this.
  11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Seth did alright with a front engine lakester.

12. plan9

plan9

whoa, that seat position is awesome... neat to see it without the fairing.

what publication/year is that from?

upload_2020-6-25_23-7-52.png

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Here is what some people believe the drivers compartment frame should look like. And he walked away from a 427 mph crash. thumbnail.jpg Nosestand jpg.jpg

14. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-6-26_4-28-14.png upload_2020-6-26_4-28-37.png
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/friday-art-show-3-13-20.1187326/#post-13483641 Hedrich/McClure and the Speed Sport Roadsters

Hello,

Having not seen photos of your 27 T body or set up, it is hard to imagine a ground up build for the dry lakes or Bonneville with all of the safety requirements in place. The old roadster bodies and builds would have a hard time being passed for safety sake. My late brother and I have always wanted to go to Bonneville/Muroc Dry Lake and have a race car to enter for the all out, high speed event. Racing our desert race prepped motorcycles on the full throttle Muroc Dry Lake surface was an exciting thing. It was one part of a 100 mile Hare and Hound event that took us all over those hills, gullies and dry lake portion.

Since we were geared for mostly everything other than an all-out full speed run on a flat surface we were going as fast as we could. We could not go as fast as we would have liked, with more power. Those that passed us on the dry lake surface in all of the dust and blindness, were passed up by us in the gullies and culverts of those smaller hills and mountains nearby. Gearing helps and hinders…

That just made us want to build something for those “pedal to the metal” high speed run on the same Muroc Dry Lake surfaces. Life intervened and we were on to the next step in our lives.

Jnaki

For your build, would it be possible to set up and make a sleek roadster like the orange, Speed Sport Roadster or the colorful, Hedrich/McClure roadsters for competition? I know the Speed Sport roadster was a killer straight arrow handling machine in the quarter mile, even with all of that power.
    upload_2020-6-26_4-31-5.png 1960
    Just a thought…

Speed Sport Roadster 1959-60

15. loudbang likes this.
  16. The Speed Sport car is iconic. One of my favorites. As far as fitting all the modern safety into a roadster it's far easier than the lakester I already shoehorned it into! By going roadster it will allow me to spread stuff out a bit and make it easier to work on.
    Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and jnaki like this.
  17. Man! the Peek Bros car is also a favorite of mine! The shots I grabbed off the net but I believe it was HRM.

loudbang likes this.
  18. He did, are you talking his old Rochlitzer car or the newer one they built? Also, do you have any of your crazy engine combos or parts still around? I probably just bought the Vega 10 years ago when you had it for sale and we talked.

19. @jimmy six , What are your thoughts? Really leaning towards the Jimmy I have sitting here. Will you be around Speedweek this year?

loudbang likes this.
  20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Almost everything is gone. Most went to Australia or New Zealand. But some went to Europe and I just sent a box to Japan. It seems the Vega just disappeared into the outback. Never to be see again.

Tman likes this.
  21. 6inarow

6inarow

One word: Join Inliners.

tractorguy, loudbang and Tman like this.
  22. Grudges be gone, ARE YOU WANTING TO GO FAST?

loudbang likes this.
  23. 6inarow

6inarow

just meaning the Jimmys are ultra cool but some stuff is really really hard to come by (read $$$$). And the inliners have all this stuff in one place

Tman likes this.
  24. Had an interesting off from a Bonneville friend yesterday. Ford 6. More to come

loudbang likes this.
  25. The more I put the tape measure to this thing the worse it gets. The Lakester chassis was actually EASIER to fit all the goodies into (ie; engine trans, QC) than the diminutive 27 body. I am having a hard time laying out the components and still getting the thing to look like a roadster and not a modern TF dragster. I just HATE the modern looking REMF roadsters and that may be what pushes me into MR like the Kugel car.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Here's my advice . . .

Quit looking at how bitching the vintage cars look. They ain't legal now.

Decide if you want a roadster record. If so, be prepared to spend a lot of money.

If you've made up your mind to run a certain engine (Vintage or Current), choose the one most able to get to the record you're chasing, not the one you think is "cool".

If you're running to have fun and break 200, you can do it fairly easy with the right configuration and medium engine expense. But you won't have a record (or a T-Shirt).

Tman, rod1, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  27. You know Jim, the car that currently does it for me is The Lefever roadster. To me that car matches up in styling with the Kugel roadster posted above. I know the Roadster classes are serious business and $$$ but what the heck isn't when it comes to this stuff!?

loudbang likes this.
  28. Thats an option I am currently looking at as well.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Here you go. there are lots of shots in my lakester thread sosdonground_zps5e6976c4.jpg