The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by VA HAMB, Dec 6, 2018.
Saw this in another thread, don’t know any details about it though. Keep up the good work
Thanks, I like the color!
Now for the part i hate most! I am way too OCD for wiring! It drives me nuts.
I'll take wiring over doing bodywork any day. It is so easy.
Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
Got any sauce to go with that spaghetti? Sorry Todd lol. Looking good, and we know that you'll do a great job!
Not much to report. Still pulling wires. Had to order a new blinker switch. It just came in. i needed it to run the wires to. should have most of it done this week. I did get all the trim around the doors in and found some NOS marker lights that match the originals that were used for the front signals.
Also The cooloest thing so far is having a guy at work, replicate the original 1983 Williamsburg Rod Run sticker to put back in my window. How cool is that?
Love the sticker, that stuff is always super cool
Wow, this looks like it came right out of one of the "little books". I love it!
Almost completed with the wiring. Still have to install the flasher for the blinker and I have a couple gauge lights not working so I'll have to take care of that. other than that ready to finish installing the floor and start with carpet.
Been doing a little here and there over the holiday breaks. Wiring is completed and starting to get the insides done and getting the engine finished hoping to start it over Christmas break.
The shifter knob, my Dad bought in 57. he thinks from JC Whitney? Not sure how long they've been around. It was in his 35 truck for 50 years. He changed shifters so he gave it to me and now it's safe again.
Looks good man! That battery looks teeny, what is it?
Really great thread. Thanks for keeping us up to date.
Haven't run this battery before and have not started this car with it yet but it seems to turn the engine over just like any other battery. Weighs about 9 lbs and can be mounted anyway but upsude down. I read a lot about it before I went with it. I think it should do fine. (and easy to mount and hide)
The PC680 is a great battery, I put one in my coupe with a 425 engine and it cranks it no problem. Only suggestion is to buy a tender that’s designed for this style of battery.
Cool man I’ll have to look into it!
What exact Tender do I need? I want to get one. Thanks!
Did a litlle upholstery work recently. Put some carpet down and took some 1/4" wood and covered it with some 1/4" foam and white vinyl. (I have a tendency to use too many screws )
OK, just in case someone is building a coupe and is not sure how to do the top, this is how I did mine. (Im sure there's much better ways, but this is how mine was originally done so i just stuck with it)
I got a piece of marine grade plywood that was large enough to cover the entire top. I put T-Nuts in it so i could run bolts up through the top of the body and bolt the wood down tight to the body. I then took a router with an 1/8th in spacer and ran it around the perimiter of the body. (Before paint obviously)
If you are wondering about the steel strips there is a reason. Im afraid the top will "sag" so I actually laid the top on the floor with brick under one edge and stood in the middle of the top to bow it. I then while standing on it screwed the strips to the top. The sre countersunk so the strips would have to theoretically stretch to allow the top to bow back. Well that's my theory anyway. here's hoping it works.
I sprayed the bottom side of the wood with some glue and laid the vinyl down on it and trimmed the edge. I also put in a dome light (67 Mopar) and just cut a couple runs in the foam for the wire.
I sprayed the foam with glue then laid the vinyl down and pulled it tight and stapled it around and trimmed the vinyl. I cut a little slot towards the edge for the wire to come through and ran it down along the drivers rear quarter window.
Believe it or not! I used a cigar cutter to punch the holes on the vinyl and foam to allow the bolts to pass through.
Then ran the bolts up through the top and bolted it down.
I think it looks presentable
I then wrapped the car so I could spray the top with glue and laid the 1/4 foam on the top. ( Iused 1/2" on the bottom)
The I shot some gle in the middle of the top and laid the vinyl down and pulled it out and stapled it. And trimmed
The last we did (my son helped me) was staple hiedum welt around the edge. I think it looks nice. Looks just like it did, only better!
Been too long since I opened this thread to check progress. WOW! It looks fantastic!
Looks great man
Thanks for sharing an update, and how to photos also.That's one Cool little Hot Rod! Looking forward to a maiden voyage video soon. Lol Happy New Year Todd. I think 2020 is going to be a FUN year.
Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
And you can still say "I did all this MYSELF".
I put all the fluids in it yesterday Ronnie and was gonna crank her up but didn't have any gas. Plus I want to get the brakes bled a little better because when she fires, WE RIDE! LOL!
Yes I can! LOL! It's a great feeling!
Can just add what the other said. Looks great.
It is looking good. Thanks for the motivating pictures for prodding me on.
Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
Separate names with a comma.