Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration 265 oil canister puke tank questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod54chevy, Jul 10, 2015.

1. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Alright, guys. I picked up an oil filter canister for a '55 Chevy for the soul purpose of using as a puke tank on my 283. I just figured I'd ask how you guys would do it. Should it be just a puke tank or "fluid recovery" tank? I know they're different. I'd planned on attaching a hard line in to the end of the overflow hose that's on my radiator now, then a hard line out the bottom to drain. I have an extra peacock valve I'd originally purchased for my radiator. I was thinking about using it at the end of the drain line. Does all sound good, or could I run into problems? Would brake or fuel lines work best here? And lastly, given the shear value of a 265 canister, I was thinking of skipping the step of tapping the opening where normally one would put a 90 degree fitting and run a hose to the bottom. Would just leaving it as it is be harmful? Thanks! Here's a picture of what I'm working with.

Attached Files:

2. aaggie

aaggie

You didn't say what car it's in but if mine I would use a small catch tank made for that purpose. If you think it is valuable then sell it and cover the expenses. The stock filter can is ugly and takes up space. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

hotrod54chevy likes this.
  3. I am kind of with Aggie here except I know that they are really not worth much, maybe to a restorer if it weren't pitted.

If it were mine it would be a recovery tank even if it were on my dragster. Maybe I am lazy but I don't see the point of having one and then I have to drain it and replace the fluid I lost or try and pour it back in the radiator. I would either run my overflow tube into the bottom or use one of the upper fittings with a dip tube and leave the top removable so I could ad fluid there. you will have to vent it a 1/8 drill bit will do that for you.

4. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

One man's ugly is another man's pretty! The 283 I'm putting it on is in my '54 Chevy 210. Porknbeaner, I'd never call you lazy! Correct me if I'm wrong, but why would it need vented? If it's air tight I shouldn't have to replace the coolant that collects in it. Shouldn't the vacuum from the radiator just pull it back when it cools down?

5. They work better vented that's the way the factory does it unless you have a late model which the over flow is actually an extension of the radiator. If it is vented you can open it hot and ad coolant as need be, so not only do you have a catch can but you also have a way to add coolant on a hot day..

6. 55zephyr

55zephyr

There are 2 different type of thermostat for the 2 systems. the overflow type has a self closing vent in it whereby the recovery type has not. Use the wrong one and the recovery system will not function.

7. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

I have the stock radiator that has been recored with an AC Delco 7lbs. cap. I'd seen a few guys running filter canisters, but they hadn't been on in awhile :p

8. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Also, my radiator's current overflow is just a puke tube.

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I would just buy an aftermarket coolant recovery bottle and use that. Another cheapo approach is a windshield washer tank. You can fill it, it is vented, and the plastic will probably hold up ok. But you should have no need for the peacock valve, only if you are going to the birds!

10. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Thanks, but the whole reason I want this thing on there is because it looks so danged cool! I'd run it as a remote oil filter, but I'd rather just use it for coolant. It's in GREAT shape, and I might not even end up repainting it. At the very least I'll make a puke tank out of it. I just didn't really wanna tap the inner part because I'd seen these selling for $300, and I didn't want to do too much irreversible stuff. I'm not looking to sell it to recoupe anything. I just think it looks right for my motor. Just trying to make it practical! Thanks, guys! I'll post pics when I'm done!

11. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Here's the car it's going in, as well as the motor! Just got done repainting my valve pans orange :D

Attached Files:

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

You asked, I'd also install a recovery tank as others have stated. That oil filter canister was FUGLY back in its day and hasn't got any better looking over time. Your car, your choice.

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Bolt it on there just like the factory did in 1955, and make it "look" like a stock oil filter to fit the theme of your engine. Coolant recovery or overthrow, just do it; I think it's a novel idea. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Thanks, 56sedandelivery! That was my plan :)

15. sunbeam

sunbeam

Why not use it as and oil filter. sense it's a full flow lots of heavy duty engines run both.

16. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Thanks, sunbeam, but I'm already running an oil bath air cleaner, so I'd like to limit the number of things that can leak oil around my exhaust. It seems my valve covers have got a head start on that already! :D Plus, my little 283 isn't a really heavy duty engine. And since I don't have a puke tank on now, this'll pretty up my engine bay and keep from wasting fluid.

17. I would use the tank. It certainly isn't as ugly as a billet tank or a white plastic windshield washer bottle.
    I was eyeing one up today at a swap meet, but couldn't think of a need. Now I got a need and no tank

18. I got to the party late.

This is the one I have been using in my 53 Chevrolet with a 261 for about a year.

Please forgive how dirty the car is, I had not had a chance to wash it before I found this thread.

My Dad's idea.

IMG_0643 (Small).JPG IMG_0646 (Small).JPG

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

For a coolant recovery tank run the rad overflow IN the bottom and a vent pipe OUT the top using the stock oil line connections. It will work like any coolant recovery system.

If you want to be clever put Ts at the inlet and outlet and connect them with a clear plastic tube. This will give you a visual of the coolant level.

20. Those oil filters were at one time worth some good bucks. Only ones for Chevrolet that mounted to the thermostat housing.