Register now to get rid of these ads!

260 ford 6 cyl tranny

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by baronvonfrankenstine, Apr 30, 2012.

1. 'm doing a motor swap in my wife's 63 ford falcon. right now it has a 170 6 cyl in it and I'm putting a 260 v8 in it. My question is are the transmissions compatible and if not what and where should I look for a transmission

2. I'm not entirely sure about your trans but I do know that 260 and early 289 had a 5 bolt bell housing not a 6 bolt. If you already have the 260 then run it but if you still have to buy it go late 289 or 302 it will make life easier, then you have your pick of auto or manual transmissions

3. PackardV8

PackardV8

Always helps to know whether it is auto or manual. Neither tranny from a 6-cyl will work. BTW, you are changing front suspension, brakes, rear axle and suspension also? None of the 6-cyl stuff will work for long.

JMHO, having done this swap many times, don't waste your time and money with the 260" V8. It was only 164hp SAE gross horsepower and overrated at that.

As moon.dog62 suggested, get a later roller cam forged piston 302"/5.0 with a 5-speed or the automatic and you'll go twice as quick for the same or less money.

jack vines

4. Thanks guys, sorry I didn't say so before it's an automatic and my buddy gave me a great running two sixty. Already beefed up the suspension and has disc brake up front.

5. 65COMET

65COMET

You will need to find a V-8 Automatic for either the 260 or early 289 with the 5 bolt bellhousing. ROY.

6. The early 221/260/289 (before Aug 3 1964) 5 bolt pattern doesn't jive with any thing else.
    You also have to have the V8 center drag link for the oil pan to clear