Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 26 T Roadster Pick Up build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Mar 27, 2010.

1. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

Love the build so far. My vote is bomber seats, they just have that look.

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I like the bench

2FORCEFULL likes this.
  3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

IMHO, if you only plan for short trips, the bomber seats would be ok. They are especially nice if you plan a little spirited driving on curvy roads. Be sure to pad the bottom like a pilot would - they sat on their chutes, after all. But once you properly cover them in foam and upholstery for long trips, they just become bucket seats, eh? So why hide all that fab metal work and detail? For that I'd use regular buckets or the seat you already made. Remember, too, it's easier to neck with your gal with a bench seat! Gary

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Well in case anyone gives a dam :D I am going to keep the bench, just get it a wee bit lower with some mods to the base.

I picked up a repro "A" tailgate and the curved piece at the back of the bed it attatches to.

I think it looks like I may have to narrow it around 4" to make it look right with the T body.

I'll fabricate the rest from there. It will be 36" long and maybe slightly shallower than original due to the kickup in the rear of my frame.

In the meantime things have ground to a halt as I am recuperating from surgery on my left hip to try to repair it and gain a little time before it needs replacing (which it will, just a matter of time).

Once I'm back on my feet I'll tackle the rest of the seat, then the cowl steering using the mopar box and then the floorboards etc etc. :)

volvobrynk and afgjr like this.
  5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

What does that mean?

6. Nice build. Very inspiring.. I'm going to the garage.

7. gas pumper

gas pumper

Another first time finder of your roadster. All the supurlatives have been used already, so I'll just say great job, and thanks for taking the time to post and describe the process and the toughts behind it all.

I like the bench seat, too.

(What's with the three stars? How come It only alows one vote?)

8. daddio211

daddio211

Cowardly haters. They can drop a turd on the thread anonymously without anyone knowing its them. I've read that members have asked for the rating thing to be removed for just that reason, but a few of the admins use it to look for inappropriate or OT threads to delete.

No reason for any self-respecting person to dislike this build!

9. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i'm diggin this build ! and y block powered

10. atch

atch

it wouldn't let me rate the thread without posting a reply. so, here's my reply.

b-t-w; i've been watching this thread for a long long time.

11. linkstar69

linkstar69

Great fab and build, any more updates?

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Updates will be slow coming, still healing up from the surgery so progress is next to nil now for a while.

Should be able to get going again this fall.

13. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

How goes the recovery? Think it will help for long before you need a rebuild?

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Don't think so, they scoped the hip and cleaned it out, but doc said the joint is in bad shape.

Still relatively early yet but still getting pain after being on my feet all day.

If that continues on into the longer term future a hip replacement will be next.

Like throwing in a new ball joint ;)

15. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

That's too bad. The docs can do such amazing stuff now so hopefully you will be back in the shop in short order.
    Good luck,
    Joe

16. linkstar69

linkstar69

Sorry to hear that, best wishes for a speedy recovery

17. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Found your thread after we talked. Amazing work! Hopefully you're feeling better and are getting some shop time in, if not, best wishes for a speedy recovery. I've been taking notes as I've been reading every one of your posts on here. Going to come in handy since I've decided to go Y-Block instead of the 59AB I had. Great, great thread!

18. Bilt

Bilt

Blue One I dig your build and hope you are getting better.
    Subscribed!!!

19. lrapso

lrapso
    from Costa Rica

Hello>

Good post, I just have suscribed.

Any chance you bring some pics and explanation on how do you do the 32 style reveals ????

Regards, Luis

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I'm still hurting as usual and will be till the hip gets replaced. As it is right now that looks like I'll be waiting till sometime in 2012. Gotta play the game the way the doctors want.

In any case I am gonna get as much time in this winter in the garage as I can stand.
    Have to get my bead roller put together and do a bunch more work on steering, floorboards, fab the 3' pickup box etc., the list goes on :)

In another thread I mentioned getting a smokin deal on a fully rebuilt 8" maverick rear end so that is taken care of.
    Sending out my C4 for a performance build this week.

Also going to be sending my 312 to California in a nice enclosed shipping crate this winter to have Tim McMaster do the build. If you haven't seen his work check out his website and you tube videos, as well as his LSR thread etc., right here on the HAMB. http://yblockguy.com/

Plans call for final paint to be single stage urethane 36 Ford Washington Blue with some contrasting silver powder coat on some chassis components.

That's all a ways down the road however.

I plan to get as much done as I can physically stand and will post updates on what I do accomplish.

Stand by :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"TT Rails look" refers to Model TT truck frames. They were 3 times the cross section of the passenger cars, and some guys have used cut-to-fit TT rails for 'T' rods over the years.

22. wizzard23

wizzard23

Enjoyin' this build. Very well done. Thanks and good luck Blue One.

23. Bilt

Bilt

Hey Blue One...how are things going. I wanted to let you know I borrowed your idea and made myself a welding table similar to yours that I saw in this post. Thanks for the idea.

24. Leoraf

Leoraf

Hey Blue One, just found your build. Great work, really inspiring me to get in the garage and finish my projects.
    I'm a Physical Therapist and work on pre and post op hips everyday. I know they can be very painful, get well soon.
    I hope that your hip rebuild goes as well as your T build is going.

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks, no more progress lately as the T has taken a back seat temporarily to an update project I have taken on by buying a 70s built 36 Tudor Humpback sedan.

I have pictures of it in another thread.

As for the hip situation it is still ongoing, will be seeing the replacement docs soon and talking about options and when to do it if they agree its time.

Garage time has been limited lately.

Glad I could provide some inspiration, the welding table is a compact movable and really handy item.

26. mdcolby

mdcolby

Great build! get that hip better, can't wait to see more progress

27. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Enjoying your build... and, if you need a windshield - I have an early mild chopped aluminum one that I'm not going to be using now

28. sakelley22

sakelley22
    from Easley SC

it that an origional RPU body or a cut down touring car I have a 27 touring car that I have been driving around for 3 or 4 years now and getting the itch to change it up I really wanna make it a RPU. If anybody has touring cars turned RPU pm me some pics

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  29. sakelley22

sakelley22
    from Easley SC

sorry for the question I just looked at your pics and failed to read went back to the top and read my question has been answered..... yes it can be done and yes it can look right great job....Steve

30. stephane-rod

stephane-rod
    from france