Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '26 T roadster build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Squablow, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

That is SWEET!!!

2. Alger

Alger
    from Sacto

Beautiful T, cant wait to see it all together, that commercial grill looks great.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

It took awhile, but I finally got my doors and deck back today, and stuck them on to see how they'd look. I haven't been pushing this project too hard since I don't seem to have much time for it but hopefully I'll be reassembling things now. Granted, it's a terrible picture in my cramped house garage but here's the best view I can get of it today with the deck and doors on.

I was thinking I was going to have to make some bolt-on subrails for the turtledeck to make it sit higher but now that I see it together I feel like it's just right. We'll see once the gas tank is back in it's hole.

03-31-15 006.jpg

brEad, AndersF, cretin and 6 others like this.
  4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

really like your T...but where's the shocks?
    ...and what is the wheelbase?

5. Squablow

Squablow

Thanks Larry. Shocks are in a box yet, Delco Lovejoy knee-action shocks, they just bolt on, but will require some drilling and possibly small tabs welded on. My steering box mount also needs to be reworked, so there will be some touchups on the frame for sure once it's all together. The frame and suspension is just Rustoleum products so shouldn't be a big deal. I might have to add a leaf in the rear for height yet, once it's dialed in I'll do the shocks. It will have them for sure.

As for wheelbase, the frame has stock length from crossmember to crossmember, but it has a spring-behind '40 axle. I'm not sure what the exact measurement is, but that setup must push the rearend foreward a good 5 inches, so I'd say it's right around 98 inches, give or take.

6. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

You've got a good eye, my man! The earlier, modified turtle deck works really well. Makes it kind of a "1925 and a half". The silver grey against the black is really slick too. Subtle and cool.

brEad likes this.
  7. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

That commercial grille looks killer! How many leaves are you running in the front spring?

8. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

I like your car, looks like a period piece. Is it the photos or is the steering wheel high and really far back to the seat?
    Looking at pics from days gone by many of the rods had the steering wheel in what looks like an awkward position.

9. ARNIE

ARNIE

looks great Squablo!!! too bad we missed you on sun. Arnie

10. Squablow

Squablow

Thanks for the compliments. Arnie, we'll get together yet for sure.

It's not the picture, it's really high and far back, on purpose. When the version in the first pictures was built, it had a shortened column with the wheel close to the dash, which looked right but I couldn't fit in the car, couldn't work the pedals or close the door. When I got it, Crazy Joe (the previous owner) put in a stock length column for me. I fit in it a lot better that way, but it does make for an awkward steering wheel position.

For space reasons, I can't afford to cut the column down much, if at all, but I might cut up the steering wheel and basically reverse the dish on it, so it's dished toward the dash instead of toward the driver. Could gain a couple inches of chest room that way.

It's one of those things that is a compromise of looks to make it actually driveable. It does look somewhat less odd with the column tube and dash in place.

Stogy likes this.
  11. 117harv

117harv

Outstanding, one of my new favorites.

12. 117harv

117harv

13. This thing is fookin' cool man! I don't know how I missed it all this time? Well done!