Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '26 T roadster build gets it's ass in gear!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by marx, Sep 8, 2008.

1. marx

marx

Scored a beautiful Mallory distributor from Paul for the Tuck Fire Fund back in January. Appears to be new old stock. Took it to Minnesota's distributor guru Don Bohnenkamp, who rebuilt and dialed it in. Don rules!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  2. marx

marx

Carbs and intake in. Had my generator rebuilt, fabricated a bracket for it. Got everything wired up and bolted down. Bought an 8 circuit "hot rod" wiring kit several years ago, on sale, and battled it for a good part of the summer. Cryptic instructions adding more confusion than following my own logic would have gotten me. Everything looks nice now, and I've got a box full of enough unused wire to rewire my next goddamn car. Got 25 ft of nice enameled cloth covered solid core wire and Rajah ends from Hot Rod Company that look really nice. I've never had this motor running in the time I've owned it, so I've been anticipating firing it up for a long time. Hamber Titus offered to come around and help me fire it up.

Attached Files:

3. marx

marx

Titus came over to lend a much needed hand on firing day. Got spark. Got fuel pressure. Got no compression. Valves stuck. Heads off, and a Sunday run back to East Side Speed Shop for some valve grinding.

Attached Files:

4. marx

marx

That was last week. Got the motor back together. Since it was apart, I cleaned up and tossed in some cool chrome valve covers I scored from Skyspop last winter. Gear Drive hand delivered a very cool set of awesome cast aluminum air cleaners.
    This bypasses plenty of sidetracking and snags along the way over the past few weeks. Like both NEW masters leaking like sieves. Bought two more this week and got them in and bled. Brakes and clutch work fine. My initial driveshaft job being badly enough out of whack to need rebuilding again before finally balancing it out. All the typical hot rod snafus. At least for me. Huge learning curve on this one. Right now though, things are looking up.
    Ready for round 2.

Attached Files:

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Looks fantastic, very inspiring!

6. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

Well done man!

7. fordman1

fordman1

Great build so far!

8. marx

marx

Needed a bell crank to switch my pull to a push. I don't have a lot of space back there, so I wanted to see how closely I could get it tucked in and under the carb. Borrowed an Eelco bell crank plate from Titus to make up a template in 1/8th inch. Seems to work!

Attached Files:

9. marx

marx

10. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

11. rjgideon

rjgideon

I can't imagine what a great feeling that must be, congrats!

12. marx

marx

yeah, man, I've been chomping at the bit. I thought if I fired it up last night it would finally help me sleep better. The past month the progress has had me really wound up. Hard to sleep at night. But I was wrong. Now that I know it runs, I laid in bed all damned night thinking about that sound!

13. Beau

Beau

Hell yeah! That is a mighty fine little roadster.

Can't wait to see it upon us.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  14. marx

marx

Spent nearly 30 hours over the past 3 days in a mad thrash to get this thing on the road. This is Minnesota, and my alley is on a gnarly hill, so once the snow flies and shit freezes, it's impossible getting hot rods up and down it. I can't make it another winter without driving this thing at least once.
    Titus spent a few hours with me again on Sunday getting the linkage in order and carbs synched up well enough to run. I spent the day today finishing up the throttle linkage.
    Got it all together and running this afternoon. It was past dark. 23 degrees out. And I'll be goddamned if I can sleep another night not knowing.
    Here's a super sh!tt^ video of the maiden trip. The sound is horrible. It's dark as hell. It's shaky and bouncy. I'm beat tired and half frozen. But man, it was fun!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUMGXRtv6FM&list=HL1352771770&feature=mh_lolz

15. marx

marx

Here's a couple shots taken a couple miles from the house.

Attached Files:

16. Pinewood

Pinewood

You and me both had our first drive in the dark! Allot colder for you. Congrats man, nothing like finally getting a project on the road after years of work!

17. titus

titus

Glad you got to take it for a spin.

jeff

18. Beau

Beau

This is what's made out of dreams!

Nice work man!

19. Awesome! Is the smile still froze on your face?

20. daddio211

daddio211

Well crap! Now you're going to have six long months to think about that one and only drive, TORTURED by memory, SUFFERING out the winter...

Okay I'll stop. Congrats man!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

21. That is too cool chief

The first drive in my mod was late at dark &in the snow to but it ruled.

22. marx

marx

The 1/4" stock I used on the bellcrank was giving a little more flex than I felt comfortable with. Probably would have been just fine forever, but it kinda was eating at me. So I made another one last night using 3/8" stainless bar, heavier stock for the plate, and welded the spherical rods ends, and it's way more solid. I can live with this one.

Attached Files:

23. marx

marx

The weather has been unusually great the past few days. Couldn't have asked for better timing to get the car on the road. Unless of course it'd been July. Here's a couple shots from yesterday's drive.

Attached Files:

24. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Marx.Looking good.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

25. marx

marx

As much as I hate how useless the little "peep mirrors" always turn out to be, I decided to dig around the garage for an old motorcycle mirror. I live in the city, so every little bit of visibility helps. Found an old factory one from my Shovelhead. Looks ok, and it works perfectly for that left side blind spot.

Attached Files:

26. marx

marx

Been a long time since any updates. I've spent most of the summer driving the hell out of this thing, and trying to keep working on it to a minimum. I promised myself some time back that once I had it on the road, I'd get after it and have as much fun as I could. So I've managed 2500 miles, and felt she'd earned a little attention to detail and some time in the garage again.
    Since getting it on the road I've hated the generator bracket I'd made. It was a quick fix the get it up and out of the way and on the blacktop, so looks were sacrificed for function. It worked just fine, so no problem there. It served its purpose. But where it was riding, high and wide on the driver's side, stood in the way of having a hood, and that's part of the final plan, so it had to go. I spent a bunch of time scouring the little books and online looking for someplace else to put it. Finally found a photo in one of Goatroper02's posts of a little bracket on the passenger side. I think it's a take on an old Belond header kit bracket.

Attached Files:

27. marx

marx

So I cropped and printed out a photograph of Goatroper02's pic. Cut it out, blew it up on the copier until the head bolts roughly matched up. Then I drew up a template, correcting for distortion from the photograph, and cut one out of 1/4" plate. Worked great, and is a crazy simple solution compared to what I've been sketching out myself all summer. Now I've got room for a hood, and it's nice and clean up top, so you can take in the wonder of all 4 carbs.
    First picture is where it sat before. Next is the bracket itself. A stock Olds generator brackets sits on the plate. Third picture is where it all sits now. Last photo is a nice clean unobstructed view of my Dick York carb setup.

Attached Files:

28. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

That'll be $5 dollars please..........

29. daddio211

daddio211

30. Pinewood

Pinewood

Glad to see you haven't been playing video games all summer...