Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '26 Model T build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by xrw urabus, Mar 10, 2011.

1. kenny g

kenny g

Just checking

2. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Looking great! I have a true fire in mine for the last 4 years have had no problems with it. But have a distributor an old Bosch I was going to try in my next motor.

3. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

We replaced the Body blocks as we bolted the body on the frame except for the rear blocks. They took a little persuasion to remove. When they were removed we found that the replacement blocks were way too big. After researching I found that they needed to be adjusted to fit your car. For us that was 3/4" off the top of the arched block.
    [​IMG]

and a little over 1/4" off the back of the rectangle Block.
    [​IMG]
    The cuts on these blocks were resealed with exterior grade Poly and we'll get them installed once it fully dries.

Not having the rear blocks in didn't slow down the installation of the trunk lid or the rear window panel.
    [​IMG]
    (Yes it's hard to see unless you look through the door. I'll get better pics of the rear when we roll it outside again.)

The Dizzy from Texas T's came in late in the week. It was promptly installed in the car.

[​IMG]

We choose to keep the coil box in place and use it...well as a coil box :)
    [​IMG]

The new exhaust is fully wielded. (no photos, too boring, I forgot to get take them)

We didn't get to run it on the dizzy yet.

Doesn't look like much but there is a lot of time in these few things.

I looked at installing the doors. But found that the previous own had taken most of the screws out of the hinges before we bought the car. (we have a couple buckets with 10Lbs of misc screws nuts and bolts for this car...) and they take an odd screw size #12-24 x 1" machine thread. Non of the local places that are open on the weekend carry these. So an order went to McMaster Carr for 100 Stainless screws and nuts. They should be in early in the week.

Let us know what you think!
    CBB

4. OFT

OFT

Nice, waiting for report on dizzy from Texas T and how motor runs. Novel idea using coil box for....coil!
    Earl

5. panthershaun

panthershaun
    from Kent UK

this has to be the coolest looking T Coupe around.... you boy's are giving me idea's for my own 26 Coupe......

6. xrw urabus

xrw urabus
    from ohio

Hi Everyone,

We did a little more on the T. Passenger door was installed a few days ago. I had to move cars in the garage to get others on the lift for maintenance. So, Lizzy's spot has been moved and T-Wreckx now has a new home. Here are a few pics. I put the drivers door on last evening and found it does not close well. I seems that someone opened the door past the range of the hing and bent it forward. We should be able to correct it and will post pictures of it when it is finished.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is where Lizzy got to meet her brother.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  7. Looks better and better every time you post new pics! I LUV it!!!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

Your T is already looking so cool. It`s been a great journey following this thread ! Can`t wait to see Lizzy finished !

9. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

The coupe looks real good, nice stance and love that you left it unchopped.
    Can't help but notice all the boards hanging about. Get a lot of ridin in?

10. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

Thanks for the nice comments guys. As for the Boards.... I'll leave that for Jim as they are his toys to explain.

We've ran into a bit of a snag with the Driver's side door. These doors were never on the car since we owned it. We did toss them on once when we were doing the body work. But never bolted them fast (bolts were missing) and with the dead line to get it into paint we didn't stop to think about it too much.

So here's the issue this is all the further the door closes before the front hits the body and you start applying "Force" to close it (things start to flex...like the inside of the door seam).
    [​IMG]
    (yes that is a 3 to 5" gap at the back of the door)
    On closer inspection it looks like someone opened the door too wide (maybe backed into something?) are there any tricks adjusting the alignment of Model T doors?

Thanks,
    CBB

11. xrw urabus

xrw urabus
    from ohio

JERSYBOY,
    The mountain board gets very little use. It was a Xmas gift and there is not many places to ride it. Also riding alone is not much fun, nobody else has one around here. I have been known to ride it on the big hill out front of my house (the streets are so rough a regular board is useless). The snowboard is an old school GNU which I used to ride a lot in NY and PA. I have been snowboarding since it was uncool in the 80s. It has not gotten much use lately with my family getting older. Now that my grandson is about 4 we will get to start again. If you notice the rest of the garage has wakeboards and kneeboards hanging in the back. We live on a lake and like to wakeboard and barefoot ski. The other side has my skateboards hanging. Just a few years ago my garage has a 24' half pipe that was 6' high. At age 48 I decided to grow up (a little) and bring my car hobby home so the ramp had to go:(. I wish I had room for both but my lot is only so big and I am out of space. But there are skate parks around here within 1/2 hour and my grandson is old enough to start riding:).

12. olskool34

olskool34

Where did it bend? Hinge or did the door push in around the hinge? If it's the hinges, take the door off and heat them up and bend them back. If it was damage done to the door, that is where you will have to pop it back out or cut it out and fix. I am a freak when it comes to doors shutting perfect so hit me up if you need any help.

13. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

olskool,
    It looks like most of the problem is in the hinges. We pulled the bottom one about the time we took the photo and found it bent quite a bit. straightening it helped some but I'm sure the other two are tweaked as well. There are also some tears in the sheet metal around the hinges of the Doors (door side not post). We took some measurements from both the door that closes well and the one that does not. The opening is just about the same variation is less then 1/16" (with this model T that is probably as good as it ever was). So I don't think the body is messed up. We'll just have to get the hinges straight and start adjusting them from there a little at a time.
    We didn't get any time this weekend to look at this issue any more. We had a line of daily drivers with issues that needed fixed and took much longer then expected.

CBB

14. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Urabus,
    Your never too old!;) I am 51 and still ridin!:D

15. Amazing work folks! I have spend 4 very nice hours reading your tread, and get some inspiration to finish my 35Ford Project.
    hugs from Brazil!

16. Amazing work folks! I have spend 4 very nice hours reading your tread, and get some inspiration to finish my 35 Ford Project.
    hugs from Brazil!

17. xrw urabus

xrw urabus
    from ohio

Forgotten Ford - Thank you, for the encouragement.

I have not done too much in the last month or so, although Bruce has but it's been very small updates. I have been spending time with my mother whom passed away two days ago. She was fighting cancer and has now won that battle and is pain free. When life gets a little closer to normal I will be back in the shop with Bruce finishing up Lizzy. My goal still, is to drive Lizzy by the end of summer.
    On a happier note, my youngest daughter got engaged two weeks ago. But that created another problem...she wants to use the 37 Hudson for their get away car. The paint is 1970's lacquer and has cracked badly on the roof and one fender. So I need to get it repainted over winter for a April wedding. I am going to tell my wife it is part of the wedding expense....I hope she buys it.

Jim

18. daddio211

daddio211

Sorry to hear of your mother, Jim. Went through that with my dad 2 1/2 years ago. Everything comes to a halt, doesn't it?

19. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Jim,
    My condolences.

20. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

With Jim tied up this summer progress has been slow, but it is progress.
    We tried to install the Steering Column but found that it would be too short for the steering linkage to line up. This is because we moved the body back 2 1/4". To solve this we had to cut the steering column firewall mounting collar off the column.
    [​IMG]
    Then we Moved the collar a few inches up the column and welded it back on.
    [​IMG]
    Now we just need to get it painted and installed in the car.

I also did a little playing with Home Nickel Plating.
    The Nut that holds the steering wheel on was very pitted.
    [​IMG]
    The nut was sanded and polished.
    [​IMG]
    After that it was cleaned with thinner and distilled water.
    Then I left it in the Nickel plating bath for about an hour.
    [​IMG]
    It came out looking pretty good. I could have polished it a bit more before I plated, but it's plenty good enough to fit in on this build. In short it was a fun learning experience, and I'm sure I'll use it again!

Please let us know what you think and we'll be back at it full speed soon.

Thanks,
    Bruce

daddio211 likes this.
  21. dos zetas

dos zetas

Nice to see a T-framed T, and this is the nicest one on the HAMB, I think.

22. daddio211

daddio211

Tell us more about your home brew nickel plating.

23. OFT

OFT

X2
    The nut looks nice.

24. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

daddio,

For this the nickel plating I picked up a kit from caswell. It came with the nickel sulphate and additives premixed with distilled water, a 4.5V power source and stainless steel wand. The kit was meant to do spot plating on larger parts but I used it as a submersion plater for the nut. Going with the kit made sense for me as it was my first try. Some of the additives to brighten the finish and extend the shelf life cost almost as much on their own as the kit. The kit includes copper plating supplies but I did not use them on this part as it was solid steel to start with. As I play with this and if i do bigger parts I'll be looking into making my own setup. But for little parts a $50 setup that I can use on my kitchen table is worth it. Caswell also sells similar kits for doing chrome, so who knows maybe I'll try that some time too (not on this build :) )

We were able to get into the garage this weekend. This one picture sums up all the work. We installed the 4 new rear body blocks... you would think this was easy and wouldn't take any time at all. Took the better part of the day to get them in. The process was not very photogenic just the two of us on our backs under the car "making" things fit tightly.
    We also got the driver side door to close. We had to straighten the hinges then use the old school 2x4 in the door frame trick to get it fine tuned to close just right.

[​IMG]

We also got a little side tracked on Saturday afternoon. We all went to the local car show. Where Jim and his Dad decided that they needed to try and balance the Cadillac.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure that's the most time that car has ever spent on a trailer!

Check back again for more silly car tricks, and some building.
    CBB

firepilot, daddio211 and Olson like this.
  25. daddio211

daddio211

Cool! Thanks for the info bud!

26. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

Just when you think we may have given up again.... we Post proof we're still not that smart!

We have been working on buttoning up the rear end. To start this we needed to fit the new break shoe to the brake cam. That means lots of grinding.
    [​IMG]

And then some Filing
    [​IMG]

In the end the wheel hub went back on (camera man sort forgot to take anymore photo's between these two events)
    [​IMG]

I've also been trying to tie up some of the remaining bits that need painting. So I tackled the steering column and steering wheel spider.
    Everything got etching primer.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A few coats of Black and Clear.

[​IMG]

Once all this dries / hardens a bit. The Column can be reassembled and installed in the car... Maybe this weekend!
    If we could get the rest of the rear-end together and the fuel tank in/plumbed she could get a test drive before the snow fly's (we'll just use some rope to keep the doors shut :rolleyes: ).
    Till next time.
    CBB

(If women don't find you sexy, They should at least find you handy! -- Red Green)

firepilot and MrModelT like this.
  27. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

still watchin. Beautiful car!

28. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the show..... In this week's episode we have some special guests and some crazy Hi-jinks from the regulars. All in all it was a fun time!

The last time we saw that the steering column was getting a new coat of paint. I also took a few hours to sand and polish the pitting out of the hand control levers. Once polished and cleaned I nickel plated them. Then Polished them one more time. (I spent a lot of time polishing rods! last week)

When we started reassembling the Steering Column Jim's Grand son Jonas stopped by to help out.
    [​IMG]
    He's still pretty handy with a hammer.
    [​IMG]
    (Call back to when he first started helping with this car)
    [​IMG]
    With all the hardware back on the steering Column it was time to start installing it.
    [​IMG]
    Once we got it bolted into place. The "quick" connect Steering wheel can be installed...What a threaded collar was quick in the 20's.
    [​IMG]
    (The last couple pictures were for those few that don't think I actually do any work on this car. Just because I'm the one with the camera most of the time doesn't mean I don't work on it too!)

[​IMG]
    Looks like it was made to be there doesn't it :rolleyes:

Much to our surprise the original linkage fit into place without any clearance issue even after the lowering and body move.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The timing advance to the Dizzy also fit perfectly.

After the work was done we had the inspection crew check it out and approve it all.
    [​IMG]
    Based on the Smiles I'm going to call it good.

Tune in next time for more silliness and who knows maybe some stupid human tricks!

CBB

MrModelT and bct like this.
  29. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

This weekend we felt the first cool brush with fall weather. With the seasonal change there were some chores to do that kept us out of the garage more then we would have liked. But we still made some head way. In anticipation of the upcoming "Joy Ride" we dug the old floor boards, seat frame, springs and fuel tank out of storage.
    [​IMG]
    The fuel tank got a nice clean up.
    [​IMG]

There is a little surface rust and dried out gas residue inside the tank. So it's going to get a nice soak in rust remover, and a through bath with thinner once I find a cap for the fuel outlet. For good measure I'll give the outside of it a shot of some nice black paint as well.
    After the wooden parts were reviewed by our "expert" wood worker(my father), they will need to be replaced dry rotted. But they will work nicely as patterns for the new ones and to help me make a pattern for the seat's upholstery. (remember the cow we showed a few pages back...he'll end up here at some point).

Till next time!
    CBB

30. xrw urabus

xrw urabus
    from ohio

Sorry, everyone. Not much has been happening on the build other than what Bruce has done.
    Life has taken another crap on our family. Now my wife has been diagnosed with breast cancer. This is two months since my mother passed away from the same thing. We are told chemo will be needed and radiation. I am pretty much done giving a crap about anything. My good car motor lost a main bearing (so I am down a vehicle). My brother had a heart attack and a good family friend passed away yesterday. This seems like a huge pile.
    Our good news that my daughter is getting married in April is being over shadowed by crap. She wanted to use the Hudson but is needed a repaint due to old lacquer from the 1970s cracking and a few other quick updates. Bruce and I planned on finishing up Lizzy and jumping in on the Hudson and learning to paint really well. That is not happening.
    I just needed to vent a little. I will try to help Bruce get more done as I can.
    I guess if we are the ones getting crapped on maybe another family was missed. I hope all is better with them.
    Jim

MrModelT likes this.