Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 26-27 Roadster steel inner doors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 13, Mar 22, 2011.

1. I searched and did not find an answer to this, but does anyone reproduce the inner doors for the 1926-27 roadster? I know the outer skins are made, but how about the inner?

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'd like to know that too, if so I might consider totally replacing both my doors if new hinges were available too.

3. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

NO
    I searched for ever for a drivers door in the end I had to hand make the bottom 3 inches, and make a patch repair around the door lock.

[​IMG]

4. Thats why I went through DOZENS of doors and spent 3x the price of my touring and roadsterbodies just for 6 decent doors!

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

OK so, my doors have had the bottom half of the skin replaced and they are in pretty decent shape with one exception.

The hinge mounting area of the inner structure seems to be very thin and or weak.

As a result the doors flex and move up and down too much. Even though they open and close well they have that annoying movement and flex.

How can I repair that and make them a little more solid ?

Anyone make new 26-27 roadster door hinges ?

6. alchemy

alchemy

I was told the hinges are the same as 28 roadsters (get em at Brookville) except for the mounting holes may be different. Weld em up and redrill.

As for strengthening the doors, the inner panel has a short stiffener that the hinge bolts through. Maybe you could build a longer/thicker stiffener to sandwich onto the inside of the hinges and their mounting bolts? Maybe it could be welded to the front jamb of the door, or tap it and make it take the place of the nuts inside.

7. They are rather flimsey, you gotta remember we were only just out of the horse and buggy days! I would open up the hinge area and add a tubular support, weld it in so you can drill and tap it in the same hinge bolt locations. Looks stock outside but reinforced inside!

8. Great minds! take our 2 answers and combine for the sum;)

9. atch

atch

here's one. i just googled it. it appears that there are others out there.

i don't buy many reproduction parts, but MAC seems to have a good reputation.

10. If you guys don't mind, I'd like to stay on topic here. This thread is for reproduction inner roadster doors

11. It is, no where did we derail your thread talking about creme filled jaffas nor merkins!?:D

12. alchemy

alchemy

I'm currently repairing a pair of rugged doors for a modified project (saving the good pair for a roadster). The doors I started with were really flimsy, but I've found the more patches I do, and a tack weld here and there between the inner panel and outer panel edges, the doors are becoming rather solid. Make sure your doors are fully aligned (twisted into shape) before welding on them or it may be too late.

Edit to get it back on topic: I have searched EVERYWHERE and could not find repro door inner panels. I personally think they are not on the market.

13. atch

atch

MAC has lower patch panels. perhaps they have the entire inner door.

sorry, i see that that MAC's panel is for closed cars.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  14. Good advice and well taken, it's just that my doors are not only rotted out, but also most the inner sheet metal remove as well. Everything is so twisted, I really don't have much to compare to even if I were able to add patches

15. You actually may be better off with a flimsey skin. It will be easier to fit the door to the body (many fit like crap) and build an inner structure starting with less. I would look at starting with a 1"x1" framework, hanging your skin on it and building from there.

16. That makes sense as well. Obviously, I'm looking for the easiest way out, hoping to start with fresh stampings.

And just for that good advice, I will not post that picture of your wearing the Merkin made from Jaffras :D

17. 13.

Don't intend to offend (so don't get yer pants in a knot), but if you're gonna stick with this hobby you're gonna have to develop some fabricating skills, There isn't a whole lot of '26-27 repop parts out there, after all the car body is 85 years old.

Nice doors for these have been thin on the ground for a long time. I started on mine 10 years or so ago and there were zip doors then. Do them a piece at time. Lots of good advice from guys who have been there.

Good luck,

Charlie

18. The doors on my 27 fit where they touch - that seems to be as good as it gets.

19. Folks that were here 10 years ago will get the Merkin line. ;)

20. alchemy

alchemy

I was just a lurker ten years ago, but I don't know what a Merkin or Jaffra is.

21. I made my own inner panel for one of my T doors. Made the outer skin too.

I didn't realise your tourer was a limo! 6 doors?

22. 4 for the touring and 2 for the roadster.....

23. Weasel

Weasel

Shadow Rods make an extended steel '27 roadster body - doors are 4" longer, but maybe you could contact them and see if they have an inner door structure that you could cut down.

www.shadowrods.com

24. Funny man! See Blackjacks comment!:D

25. I had to look it up :rolleyes:

26. -Brent-

-Brent-

There's always the option of having a metalworker make some for you. Chris from Salt Flats Speed Shop would be willing, I'm sure. And he could use my 26/27 for comparison. Send him a PM... he loves doing stuff like that.