Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 26/27 New build by an old guy..More progress!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PHIL COOPY, Sep 3, 2016.

1. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

hello gents , just a update , car is here now ,rollin on with plans to finish , spent a couple weekends up there, its 2hrs ride , that was real hard ,we all as fathers want to leave our tools to our sons , but no son is prepared to receive his fathers tools . was just ya know ya pick up a screwdriver as an adult and remember it as a child ,, was days of that ,, but enough ,, dad had picked a great green color. got lost o little things to do first took it around the block a few times runs well , pop wanted a 400jr cam and heads so im doing all my research to do it (all the boxes checked ) correctly ,, currently hunting a mallory yc or earlier dist (two piece cap, and horizontal black tag) , chevy application so i can turn it down for the flatty ,, Dad told me that he built this one this way because "it was the car your grandfather wouldent let me have in high school" Dad graduated in '57 so im keeping it correct as possible to that "year build" and gonna rub on it forever .
    Fabricator John
    miss you dad

Tman, charleyw, brEad and 6 others like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We look forward to the continuing journey Your Late Father Started. I can imagine the many thoughts going through your mind right now and being in his space must amplify that. Thank you for carrying the Torch Forward...I have a few tools my dad passed on and I think of him every time I use them...and remember the Good Times.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  3. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Stogy likes this.
  4. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

moving fwd ....just won a very early mallory dual point (yb series mechanical only big condencer square tag brown bakelite 2pc cap) for late flatty!! from that auction place ,, been doin my homework , gonna give it a pertronix ,restore it and hide it has the same breaker plate as a later mallory so the pertronix will work jiffy
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

Stogy, dudley32, brEad and 4 others like this.
  5. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox

I was really enjoying your Dad's posts, John. Please accept condolences from a fellow HAMBer in San Antonio driving our Deuce roadster.I can only imagine how difficult it was writing this post. You are a brave young man and all of us in HAMB land will be watching your continuation of the T. Our prayers are with you and your Mom.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  6. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

Thanks Gary and all who have commented here it means a lot to me as some of you know how just plain hard this is to go thru ,, the T has been moving fwd and is going with dads plan which is also how i would do it if it was me so you don't have to worry about it going off the rails and headed for billet and efi ,, that stuff was never me anyways (accept at work) im a life long fabricator ,car restorer and builder and at 53 i have 27 years on the clock doing this ,,before that well ya know "lifer" ,, learned to cut and measure from dad model airplanes from very young ,when ya built em from scratch . on from there to go carts and minibikes always with dad , then came minibikes and dirt bikes had broken frames and engines but no rides pop had a brazing rig and brass has no structural anything so that dident work , had paper route, Christmas and haybail throwing money in the bank so i said im gonna buy a welder ,,, had mom run me to Montgomery wards and i bought a 220 amp buzz box and a extension cord so i could plug it into the dryer outlet, I WAS 13 ,,, the rest is kinda history ,,a year later we built a tube chassis altered on the floor in the garage from scratch,, 454 th400 dana 120" wb ibeam axle solid rear 1790lbs..we ran it 10 years had great fun eventually ran 5.70s 1/8th 8.80s 1/4 which was humpin in the late 80s went to the bracket finals in gainsville we did well,, i started pro life (cars) aircooled vw's 2 shops then a chassis shop (drag circle dirt) then to hot rods been doin it ever since ( consequently a whole lot of drag racig envolvement along the way) ,,a decent life doin what i love all thanks to Dad (Iused to joke it was all his fault LOL)
    on to the car ive been collecting parts and staying with the plan ,, dads good friend George Breen (nhra hall of famer ) hooked me up with some sharp heads , ive been chasing early mallory parts , got cloth wires en route , scored a nos mallory best coil, gettin prepared for cam swap Pop wanted a 400jr and they are lumpy (dident get one yet turns out they arent free,,lol ) so the vac dist it goin away for the mallory , the one i have i have to change to the early cast iron timing cover which i now have , got some real rajah ends ,, its coming .the heads are center water neck (59a) and ive got a 8ba so theres that adaption sneakin up on need to order gaskets ,got hoses comin, that and keepin the household floating im in sw fl and its been 105-110 heat index lately so when i get home im toast after doin what i do all day ,,but all the kind words and words of encouragement really bring it together for me
    fabricator john ,,,,
    miss you dad

(wanted wieand 59a dual intake)
    (sorry couldent help it lol)

Tman, AndersF, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  7. Very cool !!:cool::cool: JW

Stogy likes this.
  8. Sorry for your loss . Phil will be missed .

9. Tman

Tman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry for your loss. Please keep us posted.

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Sad. Happy. Hopeful. All at the same time.

JOYFLEA likes this.