Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 26/27 Ford coupe/roadster ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Dec 31, 2020.

1. scotts52

scotts52

Curious if anyone has modified a coupe deck lid to fit a roadster and what all was involved. I know the curvature is slightly different but wondering if the width and overall dimensions are close enough to modify.

2. goldmountain

goldmountain

They are nowhere near close in shape. If you have a good coupe trunk lid, sell it on the Hamb and get a proper one to fit. The coupe ones are pretty scarce.

3. yea, coupe deck lids and doors are made from expensium. If you buy a solid coupe minus the doors and decklid you will pay more for the doors and deck lid than you did for the coupe.

I am with @goldmountain on this one sell that bugger and buy a proper deck lid. You will be bucks and headaches ahead.

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

They T Coupe trunk deck lids are out there. Some are rusted hulks but you can still find a good one.
    I got mine from ebay from a guy named GUNMAN63 about 6 years ago. I paid $300 for it and it was in perfect condition.
    You can also buy the skin if you want to replace what is on the frame. The skins run about $180 from Howard's.
    Beaner is right. A door alone can run $1300 from Brookville unless you buy one used for about $400. They also sell the door skins.

5. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Word of caution about the deck lids from Howells... they do not put compound shape into the skin, as were the originals. So while the deck lid fits the opening fairly well, the crown is wrong and would take 3/4” of body filler to shape properly.

If you do go with Howells... buy the skin and inner panel separately. This way you can shape the skin and fit the panel to the opening prior to crimping the edges together

Flathead Dave likes this.
  6. scotts52

scotts52

I actually need one for my roadster. Didn't know the coupes were just as hard to come by. I just thought if they were close it would broaden my prospects of finding one. Guess I'll hold out for a roadster lid.