Register now to get rid of these ads!

26/27 Body on a 32 Frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Wrong-Un, Sep 28, 2005.

1. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Has anybody out there got any experience of putting an original 26/27 body onto an unmodified 32 frame? How well do the two line up with each other? I've seen plenty of grainy pictures of this set up from way back when but nothing that really shows how well they fit together and there's no tech to say if the frame needs to be narrowed at all. Any pictures to back up how well they fit would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance,
    Neil.

2. raven

raven

I've been looking into this as well. I believe the 32 frame would have to be pinched at the firewall at the least. I would suggest taking 32 frame rails and making crossmembers to fit you body. Even then you would need to add a pinch into the mix.
    r

3. Heres a modern 26/27 on 'B' rails.

You can clearly see a long tapered packing piece between the body and the chassis.

The body must be alot narrower than the 'B' chassis.

Attached Files:

4. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Thanks raven61, thing is I've got a complete driving 32 frame and I'm looking for an option to get a quick and easy roadster on the road whilst I get the cash together for a 32 body, so I don't want to go making in any major modifications to what I've got.

Clark, I've seen that picture myself but I just can't place it, have you got any info on it? I'm fully aware of the packing required between the frame and body, it's how they line up when viewed from above that I'm interested in. I was thinking that the T would be loads narrower but looking at pictures in the Montgomery books and the like I can't believe that they all went to the hassle of narrowing the frame back then. Obviously I stand to be corrected!

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

How about a quicky replication of a famous one??
    The official Hot Rod Magazine truck, circa 1953--1927 bucket and pickup bed plopped onto a stock '32 chassis. Original long gone, stolen and disappeared.
    There are numerous pictures in old mags--I have some in a '53 R&C that I can think of. I think this vehicle must have been about a one-day buildup--peel off deuce body, plop, done. Didn't look bad, either.

6. The pic is from the book 'Ford Hot Rods' by Dain Gingerelli. One of those little square picture books.

I think its got something in the text about.

Why don't you just plonk the body on and see!

7. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

8. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

I know the one Bruce, had those curious rear fenders to stop the debris flying onto the 32 it pulled out to Bonneville. Neat car, and as you say easy to copy, though it's a touring body that I have in mind. Having said that I'm easily swayed!

Thanks Clark, I have dug out the book and I am gonna give it a read in a minute or two. I haven't got a body yet, though i do have a lead on a couple.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Touring body? You don't have a hacksaw?

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That article on the tow to Bonneville, "Bonneville the Hard Way", is a classic of the hotrod disaster genre! It sounds much like one of my college trips, though I never towed anything...

11. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

To properly make a '27 fit a '32 frame you'd need to pinch it at the cowl and cut off the rear frame horns as well as bugger up the body at the rear to make it fit. If all you're looking for is a temporay body on your stock chassis then drop the body on and start cutting what interferes. Have fun.

12. TV

TV

If it were mine, I would find an A frame and put it on. It's a throw on. It is a lota work to make it fit the 32 properly. Just MHO--TV

13. DrJ

DrJ

That sounds far from "proper" to me. ;)

Sittin on top with a Hickory or Ash filler spacer. = "Traditional"

Pinched rails and every thing made "sanitary" = "80's dehiccup"

Yea, I'm sure someone, somewhere, narrowed a "B" frame way back when to channel a T body, but it wasn't the usual way of doing it.

14. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

I'm asking about the 32 frame as it's what I've got and it's complete. It's no great shakes if it's not that viable as it's just an idea I've got bouncing around in my head, but if it's a goer then I'm up on the deal by another car! I do agree that a T on an A frame is an easy swap, done it twice now and it barely involves any thinking at all. I should really forget about it and just get my Model A done but I can't help thinking about that next project!

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Dr J has the pinching covered (do it when you put in the power windows and remote contrplled console door). The pickup idea was to cover the rear frame problem--T's and A's have rear pan level with main body, '32's have shortened rear pan because of that. A pickup bucket would solve that problem.

16. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

I'm aware that the rear of the body would need shaping to fit if I leave the frame horns and tank in place, but I'm not after a show car so a little cutting and shutting of the body isn't objected to. I think that a T touring with a 32 tank behind it could look kinda neat anyway. Mind you Bruce, the more you say pickup the more it appeals!
    Keep those thoughts coming guys, I'm taking it all on board. As I said in my original post, if anyone has done the swap and has some pictures I'd be most grateful.

17. SimonSez

SimonSez

I have seen photos of 26/27 T's on what appear to be un-pinched 32 rails and the cowl is sitting on top of the rails.

Here is the only one I can find at the moment, but you can clearly see the top of the frame past the cowl.

It's really the same argument as whether to pinch the rails for 28/29 bodies - you can build it both ways, but some prefer the pinched look.

Attached Files:

18. here's some inspiration...............

Attached Files:

19. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Bruce,
    do you know which Mag (Month/Year) it has benn featured?
    Thanks
    Michael

20. this is one of the best looking cars in the UK in my humble opinion

Monkey

Attached Files:

• msj.jpg
      msj.jpg
      File size:
      63.9 KB
      Views:
  21. Good idea. Now pass that old B chassis on, there's a good boy, I'll give you what you paid for it! Delivered of course?
    Alternatively, want to buy a 27 pickup bed?! Steel? Think you know it...

22. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

Let the deuce frame go 'cause an A is easier under the 27????
    A blind mans choice.

The deuce frame is a beauty under there. Under any car 26-32.
    The curves man, the curves. Almost like a womans legs.
    Go buy some more litterature with old pics. You'll be convinced.

A Bones are similar to the cheapest fence pales you find at the hardware store compared to the deuce.
    Available, straight, boring, available, boring, 2 second choice.

Bruce.
    "Touring body? You don't have a hacksaw? " THAT Cracks me up :) :) :)

Paul

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"Bruce,
    do you know which Mag (Month/Year) it has benn featured?
    Thanks"

I don't think it was ever featured, it just wandered through the backgrounds of pictures in the short span of its existence as corporate truck--it is pictured in the 1953 R&C with a red A roadster pickup on the cover (one of my very favorite cars--where is it now???). It was in a story of a long, difficult trip towing a '32 to Bonneville.
    I don't think it was considered a "real" hotrod or really of feature quality--it was just a thrown-together utility vehicle made of someone's spare parts!
    '32 chassis, 21 stud, T body.
    PM me in about 10 days (cannot do #$%@? anything right now--new school year plus Hershey!) and I'll send you copies of the pictures. Bruce

24. Ah - Neil knows what belongs under there. Just winding him up. Both went after the same 32 frame, didn't know who the "other" party was...
    So, when y'done with it son, pass it on!

25. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

You're top of the list should I choose to get rid of it Phil. Of course that's what I tell everyone but with you I mean it!

26. Aah, I can feel the warmth from here.
    Now just get on with it! 24 hours in a day, 25, if you work your lunch hour.

27. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

This one?
    This is reprinted in the Rod & Custom - January 1973.
    I believe this is the same vehicle, but without the bed.
    I have a pic, in another R&C, with the bed. If I can find it, I'll post it.

Attached Files: