Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 250 6 cylinder swap 1952 chevy panel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by david steele, Mar 30, 2019.

1. david steele

david steele

hi, new here and have been looking for info on the oil pressure and temp gauges on my 52 panel, just bought a new temp before my 235 died, now i’ve installed a 250 hoping /thinking that’ll figure out like everything else on a car swap but can’t seem to find any info on it
    it was
    an 84 250 from c10 or 20 and ran great but had a bunch of smog shite on it, is the oil sender on passenger side and temp on the driver and is there anything out there that lets me use my stock gauges

thanks in advance

david

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Terrible80

Terrible80

If your old senders worked, they should do as well adapted to the new block, no?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Probably mechanical on the 52, electrical on the new motor. It should be possible to fit the oil pressure pipe in place of the sender, use an adapter if necessary. The temp gauge may be harder, it has a bulb that is supposed to go inside the head, more or less. I don't know if there is a good place to put it.

4. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Is it an integral head one?

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

You'll need the adapter used when replacing a '54 or earlier head with a '55 up head. There's a chance the tube is too short, though - depends on where the hole is on the 250 head.

6. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I did this swap once upon a time in a '53 panel, the capillary tube will be too short to work in the 250. There may now be a gauge available aftermarket that has a longer cap tube....don't know. Lots of aftermarket support for the AD trucks these days, not so when I was messing with them. Good luck!

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was in a 52/53 GMC that I saw today. The core support is slightly forward of what a Chev core support is though I tried to lighten up the second and last shots a bit to show the radiator to pulley clearance but that isn't working too good. If you look real close on the last one you can make out the side mount motor mounts. IMG_2633.JPG IMG_2632 (2).JPG IMG_2631.JPG IMG_2634 (2).JPG

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drivers side of the same engine. Can't show the truck as the mods might not like the overall look of the outside of it. IMG_2630 (2).JPG