Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 25 T roadster gow job build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by olskool34, Sep 13, 2013.

1. That top looks sick!!!

2. Very nice! I'd keep it as-is...any lower in the back and it'll look like the windshield is too tall. Plus, the way you have it drawn, the angle of the top from the middle bow to the rear bow matches the turtle deck. Perfect the way it is IMO, great job!!

brEad likes this.
  3. v8juice

v8juice

I like it the way it is

4. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Awesome! I love it! Fantastic build

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

IMO....the top takes it from a 'kids hot rod' to a 'gentleman's car'. I like it!

6. ^Diddo^!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. olskool34

olskool34

Thanks Pete, I appreciate that. How is the Tudor coming? I saw it once over at Kirk's and it brought back some memories.

I tried to work a little bit on the T after work today but my torpedo heater just can't keep up with the temps. Coldest I winter I have ever felt.

So what better to do than grab a bottle of your favorite brew, sit down with the dogs and read a great article. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390604887.895531.jpg

Outback and brEad like this.
  8. olskool34

olskool34

Screwed around with the grill shell apron and came up with this. had to raise it three inches and I tucked it under the shell. Not really sure yet if I like it. The apron is just too nice compared to the shell and I have no plans to re-nickel it. Poor lighting but I think you can see it ok.

[​IMG]

Dannerr likes this.

9. Looks good to me! Run it!!

10. olskool34

olskool34

Should the bottom be black?? Just leave the nickel on the rib?

11. That's how they were originally...but I wonder how much paint 'stuck' to the nickel after a few months/road miles.

Attached Files:

12. olskool34

olskool34

Originally that part you see that is nickel is a separate piece of trim that attaches to the apron with tabs. I do not have that trim piece, what I have it the apron which should never have been nickel plated to be correct so I'm told. I presume that is why the price was cheap. Go figure.

13. Squablow

Squablow

I'd run it all-nickel with pride. Adds a little meat to the front end. And plating things that originally were not is hot rod tradition. Shame it's so much brighter than the shell though. I'd hate to suggest faux-patina to make it match better. but it's an option. Satin clear might make it grey looking.

14. olskool34

olskool34

The T was under about a foot of snow so I decided to dig her out. Want to get back to working on her but this winter has been brutal. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391359245.876711.jpg

Outback and Dannerr like this.
  15. olskool34

olskool34

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391382757.400596.jpg

Dannerr likes this.
  16. olskool34

olskool34

Hard time telling when this pic could have been taken. Got a new phone so having some fun.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391382942.376685.jpg

Dannerr likes this.
  17. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Very cool pic. Your driveway looks like mine. It might be June before all that snow melts!!

18. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oldschool34, you are doing a super job. That thing is gonna rock.

19. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Ha! Love it!! She's looking good, Bro! :D

20. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I really like the look of the top , however , unless you're really short , are you going to fit in it let alone be able to see out well enough to drive ??? I'not trying to be a jerk about this , but my '23 simply wouldn't work w/a top that low ... IMO
    dave

21. olskool34

olskool34

That is a good question. I do not know if I will fit or not. I will have to wait and see when I start the mock up. Clayton's top on his roadster is pretty short too and he fits. I am only 5'10 so I have that going for me.

22. olskool34

olskool34

Today I had some time to tinker. I screwed up and should have had the radiator shop put a straight upper outlet on the top rather than the angled stock outlet. Chopping the radiator 3 inches created a problem with the upper hose.

I looked around and found a upper outlet in my pile of parts so I thought I would chop it down and see if I could get the hose to line up better. This is what I came up with.

I got it hot and welded it hot and let it cool slowly. I will clean up the welds and smooth it out but was wondering if there is going to be issues with the flow of coolant now. I can take the radiator back to the shop but hopefully this will work. Any thoughts? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392081025.685007.jpg

DylanHill1931 likes this.
  23. Nah, shouldn't have any flow problems...the angle going into the block is much more severe...you're good. Mock it up and see how it looks; I'm going to have to do something similar to mine.

24. olskool34

olskool34

Yeah I know you have to do something similar but if you need your radiator worked on I would suggest the straight upper outlet on the uppe tank.

25. olskool34

olskool34

The weather is starting to break in Michigan and we have seen some 30+ degree days, feels like 50! Went out and started making up the floorboards because I recently bought a skill saw. They came out nice, just need to extend the firewall down a bit more to mate up with the upper floor board. Added an original A foot rest for when you want cruise control. I know it's not much but this winter has been brutal! Also found the last part I needed, the shifter knob. I was looking for some plain old bakelite knob and found it in a local antique store. 20 bucks and I was sold. It is kinda like an old brownish color and fits perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    Dannerr likes this.
  26. Rogi

Rogi

Looking good dude! Is that birch plywood?

27. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

22r02.jpg

22r03.jpg
    what i wish i had
    roadsterpanel.jpg

roadster panels.jpg

touring panel.jpg
    what i have
    Great job man I love what you've done! I too have some T skins and a chunk of model A subframe. I'm really interested in that phase of the project how did you determine the curvature of body when the wood was gone? did you trim the side of the subframe rails to fit the body shape? how far back from the firewall is the cross member and how much did you narrow it? how did you determine the curvature of the tubes that you used to build the inner skeleton?

28. bct

bct

I use plywood strips. pm me if you need a hand.

29. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Turned out very nice!

30. olskool34

olskool34

Hell Yeah! I am going to take them to work though and put this old wood laminate I found over the top.