Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 25 T roadster gow job build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by olskool34, Sep 13, 2013.

1. olskool34

olskool34

I would love to see yours! Do you have any pics?

2. bct

bct

thanks for the info and offer
    ..... I have a later roadster and the bun panels are way different. A back panel for a 25 roadster came with the car. it is aftermarket.

3. olskool34

olskool34

I have been working on where the turtle deck subframe meets the body, I don't know what a real roadster looks like exactly so I just kind of winged it. Now the T strip that joins the back and quarters flows down to a taper and ends at about where the turtle deck lower edge is. Don't mind the dents and dings, think they are going to stay.

[​IMG]

4. touring20

touring20

very nice ! Wondered if a t touring can be cut down into a bucket .COOL !

5. gonzo

gonzo

6. olskool34

olskool34

Tomorrow my buddy and I are going up north and getting a running chassis from a 31 A. After unsucessfully trying to trade my juice brakes for mechanicals and the fact that my engine is out and on a stand I figured I would just buy another chassis that needs very little to speed things up a bit. If anybody is interested in my old chassis/drivetrain I have it in the for sale section. I'll post some pics tomorrow when I get the new chassis home.

7. olskool34

olskool34

Left the house at 9 today with my buddy Aaron and picked up the chassis. This is going to save me alot of time when it comes down to getting it on the road. It was under a late 31 pickup and from the looks of the chassis, it was a virgin pickup. I am still going with the 29 wheels though because they look more like T wheels than the 30-31's.

[​IMG]

DylanHill1931 and brEad like this.
  8. Squablow

Squablow

Crummy pics, and I just started fitting the deck around the gas tank yesterday, so it's not done yet, but this is what I have so far. No subrails under my deck, just going to have it sitting on a flat wooden floor. Sides have to be reworked a bit to fit the back of the '26 cab but it should work out.

I don't have anything to fill in the gap between the back of the cab and where the deck curls up either yet, car was originally set up with that big gas tank on the back and nothing else, like a modified, but with a full Model A wheelbase I thought it looked odd. Got this super solid turtle deck off Craigslist for $60 so I'm trying to incorporate it into the body but still retain the gas tank. I might even leave those corners open, I kinda like it that way.

Looking forward to seeing more progress on your build and how the body comes together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  9. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Looking good, Bro!!! Good score on the running chassis too. That'll save you a lot of time and headache.

10. olskool34

olskool34

Thanks Bugs! No new pics but hopefully I will have pics this weekend of the body on the chassis for mock up of body mounts. I think I am going to run three mounts per side. I have yet to pinch the rails in but if I have time that will be done this weekend also.

Dannerr likes this.
  11. olskool34

olskool34

So as of today I have a roadster that used to be a touring car that was destined to be a couch (last owner was going to make a couch out of it) and I think it fits the bill. Some stuff I had to wing but for the most part I like how it turned out. I decided to slant the windshield posts back and make it a two piece windshield kind of like the Hodge roadster. Bringing in the new chassis this weekend to mount the body.

Since I am this far along I will tell ya that I am painting the body with a brush. I have talked with many guys on here and I think I can make a good rendition of a 1930's paintjob.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DylanHill1931, Dannerr and brEad like this.
  12. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

PERFECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes to the brush paint too...it'll look just right. And in 50 years it'll look like mine!!

13. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

14. rustryder

rustryder
    from Dinuba ca

heres a pic of a 22 i built years ago

Attached Files:

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

holy crap that thing's nice!!

16. Anderson

Anderson

That body turned out spectacular.

17. olskool34

olskool34

Thanks guys, I am trying to work on it a little every night and the weekends so it will be road ready by spring and I really want to try and hit the ROG this next coming year with it.

18. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

Awesome build!! I love it!

19. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

Great build. Definitely following.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. Squablow

Squablow

Body looks real nice, interested to see how you're going to do that windshield.

21. olskool34

olskool34

Tomorrow I have limited time so I think I am going to tackle this. Chassis work now moved to Sunday, father in law's 64th birthday so not much time to spend on it.

22. olskool34

olskool34

I had just a few hours today so finished up the windshield frame. I like the hodge roadster and it has a small stationary lower winshield and a folding upper. I only had the lower T windshield but this guy I know told me he had something that looked similar. I went over there and got a frame and posts that he said were '20 dodge brothers. All I had to do to make it fit was make it a 1/2 inch wider and 1 inch taller. The little metal glass retainers where the glass meets are a bit bigger than the T's but I doubt I will change it. The top flips open and the 2 glass sections when closed will have a gap of about 1/8 inch. I kinda like it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    Dannerr and brEad like this.
  23. Dang, that body almost looks new !! Very nice. JW

24. Squablow

Squablow

That's neat. So the little lower piece is at a slightly more vertical angle than the top piece, right?

25. This is the first time i've looked at this thread.
    Man, you're doing some great work and going to end up
    with an awesome car!
    Everything you've done looks so right.

I will follow this to finish

26. adam401

adam401

Great build. I love early T's built in an early banger style.

27. olskool34

olskool34

Yeah exactly. It looks pretty good from the side. I will take a pic of it. Thanks for all the comments guys, really aprreciate it!

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

On the turtledeck subrails, did you use 2" X 3" rectangular tube or did you brake a flat sheet? Those radiuses (radii) look excellent. Nice forming around the corners, too...

...and I also LOVE the taillight!
    Good thinking on the windshield frames...very cool with their transition from lower vertical to upper slant. (the 1/8" gap, should you decide it's 'too chilly', can be addressed with a rubber strip that rides astraddle the lower windshield: It's available as a 'rubber extrusion' from the restorers' catalogs...Not necessarily Ford)

29. olskool34

olskool34

Great info there! Thanks! As far as the turtledeck subrail, I was at work and I had been thinking of what to use when a guy at work was cleaning up and found gurder supports, the kind used in a shop for heavy storage. They were being tossed in the scrap so I went over and they were 3 3/4 inch by 2 inch 16 gauge stamped steel. They are perfect and cost me nothing but my time. At the corners I used a section of torque tubes for the radius.

brEad likes this.