Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects #25 model A coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by slinginrods, Oct 2, 2016.

1. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

[​IMG]
    After all the cutting on the stock crossmember there's really not that much strength left. Time for some re engineering.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

There's just way to much going on that can be consolidated into one clean k member/ crossmember , not sure how I'm going to tackle it but it won't be 3separate pieces like it is now.

3. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Sorry to hear about your son. Cool project, will be watching this progress. Keep the updates coming.

4. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

Spent most of the day removing all of the old crossmember, k member , trans mount junk that was boogered up
    [​IMG]

catdad49 likes this.
  5. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We will be losing the late model rear bones and going with the 36 style using front bones from a 40 welded to the axle mount. Since this is a spring over I will shave the spring hangers off the ends as well as the rear end

6. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

Frame is all cleaned out so new x member can be made. Plans are for a single point to attach the rear bones and locate the trans.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next up is x member. Trans mount , rear bones fab and brackets. Stay tuned

catdad49 likes this.
  7. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

looking good guys! always like the MODEL A!

8. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

IMG_2660.JPG IMG_2659.JPG IMG_2660.JPG IMG_2659.JPG IMG_2660.JPG IMG_2659.JPG IMG_2656.JPG IMG_2658.JPG
    Got some of the center member done
    All of this will be drilled for lightening holes and the rails will be boxed with matching plates

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    catdad49 likes this.
  9. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

Plans are for a lower plate that ties the rear wishbones to the same mount as the transmission and another plate on top

10. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

IMG_2663.JPG
    Pl IMG_2662.JPG IMG_2661.JPG
    Played with the pedals some. Need to get the mount finished

11. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

IMG_2655.JPG IMG_2654.JPG IMG_2664.JPG IMG_2666.JPG IMG_2665.JPG My dad has been busy working on the body ,he got the number templates made and sprayed some flat rustoleum on it after sanding and a coat of primer. Jury is still out on whether to chop or not. If we do chop it it will be heavy around 6". My son would have wanted it chopped so I'm leaning towards that. He was very much into aggressive ,hotrods that performed good and looked the part. And I feel the same. Not a hotrod if it isn't fast ,and a little scary. I know he's watching so the pressures on .

phelan9251 and catdad49 like this.
  12. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

13. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

are plans for a chop still on the table?
    i used to chop an A coupe or tudor as entertainment for our club's yearly rod run, but not for 10 years, no pix, but sharing my method in case someone is interested...
    i cut the A and B pillars, quarter window and rear window openings flush for later butt welding, but i drop my cut line down so it bisects the chop amount to be removed from the remaining SKINS, leaving what becomes upper and lower flanges... the tops of '30 -'31 coupe and tudor rooves are wider, i let the roof section slide over the body panels... i then tack the overlapped edges when all is aligned... i then split the overlapped panels with a metal cutting blade in a sabre saw...[where glasses] i then cut a 6" to 8" vertical tapered slot in each rear corner...grind the tack welds and toss the leftover strips... i then fit and butt weld the roof to body seams... cuts need not be perfect as the saw cuts both panels at the same time... leaves a thickness of the blade gap to be welded and bondoed...
    i tack the door's inner structure [glass surface] then split the door posts and quarters from the start of the upper curve, down to the lower curve... i spread the upper and crush the lower... this keeps the glass surface flat, then i fit the SKINS ... must be done in 8 places...
    if not a healthy [no upper hinge] 5" chop, the above needs to be done to the w/s posts...
    and then there was the... wood... ?

14. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

catdad49 likes this.
  15. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

[​IMG]
    My buddy is making my dad a gas tank for Xmas Here it is in the middle of being made. It will be about 16 gallons when done.

catdad49 and Dino 64 like this.
  16. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got one of the wishbone mounts made , disregard the fasteners and the tacked joint from the bone to the perch. I quickly tacked this together to get a feel for the placement and length.

catdad49, biggeorge and Mikel50 like this.
  17. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

18. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

Finally got around to working on this. I shaved the rear spring hangers off since I'm not using them. I tried to blend them in as best I could.I also took the hubs and drums off everything looks pretty good. I welded the bungs in the rear bones and polished the welds .I still need to make the other bracket and weld the ends to the bones. Getting there but slowly , hopefully I can squeeze some time in tomorrow.

Jet96 likes this.
  19. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

IMG_2867-2.JPG IMG_2871.JPG IMG_2868.JPG

Attached Files:

catdad49 and biggeorge like this.
  20. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

Got the root pass done on the bones. Shaved the crappy shock mounts off the PO had on there .cut the spring mounts off the ends. I might cut them further up.bones are pretty long

21. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

Slow progress on the rear end. I got most of the work done on the rear bones. I didn't want to run a torque arm. I built these using front 40 ford bones welded to 36 rear peices. Then added the Dom 7/8 tubing to them to reinforce along with a gusset. The axle will break before these give us any trouble.
    IMG_2895.JPG IMG_2897.JPG

catdad49 likes this.
  22. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

IMG_3954.JPG
    IMG_3957.JPG IMG_3974.JPG IMG_3974.JPG IMG_3977.JPG IMG_3978.JPG

Been awhile since I’ve updated this thread . But we built a house and moved since the start. Life gets in the way. But here are a few progress pics of the build.

23. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

IMG_2827.JPG IMG_2828.JPG IMG_6999.JPG IMG_7166.JPG IMG_7171.JPG IMG_7172.JPG
    Well like everything else on this car the steering box needed a complete rebuild. Opted to go with the aftermarket steering column and modified the drop to accept a fuel gauge because running out of fuel sucks.

24. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

IMG_7488.JPG IMG_7495.JPG IMG_7497.JPG IMG_7800.JPG IMG_7789.JPG
    When we decided to go with the 283 over the flatty we were pleased to find out the hurst engine mount allowed the Chevy to go right where the flathead was. But because of the stock model A frame and the fact we didn’t want to move the crossmember around , I had to recess the firewall. Also had to make a trans tunnel and toe board. This allowed us to use an original A hood and sides with the 32 grille shell

Shadow Creek and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  25. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

IMG_7188.JPG IMG_7192.JPG IMG_7193.JPG IMG_7205.JPG IMG_6385.JPG
    Some pics of the car rolled outside to get an idea of how she sits. Pretty pleased but the exhaust will go for a tighter set up

26. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks very nice unchopped. Great work!

27. touring20

touring20

Where did you find a after market steering box? , the car has a real nice nostalgic vibe !

28. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

It is an original f1 box I rebuilt connected to an Ididit aftermarket column.

29. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Just wondering @sling392shot - how much meat was left on the original F1 steering shaft when you adapted the Ididit universal to the shaft?

I looked into a double-D adapter, and there didn't look to be much in the way of the original shaft left to use - I may be wrong.

30. catdad49

catdad49

Great build, can't wait to see it chopped!

OLSKOOL57 likes this.