Register now to get rid of these ads!

241 Red Ram pulley question ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by uglyoldcrow, Nov 10, 2012.

1. uglyoldcrow

uglyoldcrow

I'm putting the final touches on my 241 Red Ram Motor and have a question. I stayed with the stock Dodge water pump but have a Mopar 318 Harmonic Balancer on the crankshaft. My crankshaft pulley which I need to replace because of the balancer measures 7 1/2 diameter. My stock water pump pulley measures 7 7/8 diameter. How important is it to keep with these sizes in my hunt for the crank pulley that now bolts up to the Harmonic Balancer. If it matters, The only 2 things the Crank will be driving is an alternator and water pump/fan. Thanks, Jim

Attached Files:

2. neill

neill

i have a 241 and it does not have a balancer,internal balance as far as iknow and it came out of a running 54 dodge

3. dodge_38

dodge_38

as far as I know as long as they are close they be ok as long as they all line up when put the belt on

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You will be just fine with that setup.

5. uglyoldcrow

uglyoldcrow

I STAND CORRECTED! As you are such an expert, Why don't you answer my question. Jim

6. George

George

That's about what I'm running on my 331

They didn't come with one, but have had problems with breakage in racing. Even if not racing, it can't hurt to add one.
    Should be!:)

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

Hot heads sells one or at least the picture might give you an idea of what to look for.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It's not very important to keep the exact size pulleys but they should be close. I would try to keep within 1/2" difference either way.

Try to keep the sizes in proportion. If you change the ratio too much it could cause trouble. Driving the water pump and alternator slower will save some energy and possibly a little gas, but increase the possibility of overheating and undercharging at low speeds. At high speeds it won't matter, or maybe work better.

Overdriving will have the opposite effect, better cooling and more juice at idle but more friction and more chance of cavitation and over revving at high speed.

9. uglyoldcrow

uglyoldcrow

Ray,
    I love and use the HAMB Site as a learning tool for my car Hobby. I ask maybe too many questions but this is how I learn. This site has made it possible for me to get a few old clunkers running and back on the road. I do a lot of the work myself. I don't belong to any clubs so I don't have a team of guys to help solve my issues.
    Your post came across to me as, HAY Stupid!. Well Maybe I am, But Rusty O' Tool did the job I was looking for. HE answered my question!
    Now on a positive note: I'm still recovering from the election. Jim

10. uglyoldcrow

uglyoldcrow

Ray, ALL COOL! Not for nothing, But I did learn something from your first POST! Just kinda not what what I was looking for in my post!
    PS: I'm kind of wound up in this 34 Plymouth project build. I'm making it my Last One! Not cause I don't have the interest but it's just time. Jim