Register now to get rid of these ads!

24 hours of LeMans {OT}

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noboD, Jun 13, 2009.

1. noboD

noboD

Don't forget that LeMans is this weekend. Speed has been showing a prerace show, not as annoying as Nascar. Has anyone been to LeMans?

2. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

Thanks for the heads up I just turned it on....

3. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

One of the all time great races for sure.

4. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

I always watch it. Badass in HD.

5. Im watching it right now. But i know how its gonna end.
    Audi No 1 is going to win LMP1, with Tom Kristensen, from Denmark, taking his 9. victory. In LMP2 theres the ESSEX-racer, from Denmark, that has a good chance to win. And the Corvette, with Jan Magnussen from Denmark, are going to win GT1.
    Can you see a patern here:D
    Lars, From Denmark

6. Smitty's

Smitty's

Hey guy's I actually went to Le Mans in 1998 with the Doyle Risi team I was working for at that time. We ran a Ferrarri 333SP we wound up 8th
    overall and 1st in class. It's definately a cool ass place to be and be a part of,lots of history.That same year we went to Paul Ricard in France and Monza in Italy. You've never seen fans that crazy in Italy when your racing a Ferrarri. You go to restaurants wearing team gear and they like think your god,it was pretty wild. The car we ran was powered by the
    Ex F1 V12 detuned a touch for regulations , man what a sound . Enjoy the race.

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I was there in 1970 - on leave from the Army in Germany. Very nice, but wet. Got to see Steve McQueen and his cars in action. Spent 5 days there camping with race fans from all over. Quite a few Brits, even some Aussies, a lot of French of course and Germans - and all of them just happened to be very intoxicated and arguing about who was going to win the World Cup - the play-offs were ongoing during the race. Lots of fun - a combo rock festival and party where a race breaks out. Everyone from the highest of rollers drenched in Champagne to hashish-brained hippies. As I understand it, LeMans was the largest sporting crowd outside of Indy back then. Probably far bigger now. Gary

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just not the same without the Bugatti and Bentley Teams, just modern stuff now.

9. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

hey hey hey.. what about Jaguar?

Two famous famous names in motorsports Peugeot & Horch..I mean Audi to finish 1 & 2.
    The Corvettes are racing against each other in GT1.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

I seam to remember someone telling me the Jaguar race engines were built here in Connecticut by a guy from Australia or New Zealand. :rolleyes:

11. I'm waiting around for some rich Sheik from Dubai to ask me to be a stand-in driver at LeMans.

I guess after 3-4 four hour stints behind the wheel, you'd know the track pretty well. I can't imagine racing exhausted, in the rain. I have to work at concentrating during a 20 minute sprint race.

No, I've never been to LeMans

12. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

I have heard of an Australian Jaguar expert living in the States, has built 1 or 2 engines for resto jobs out of the Crosthwaite & Gardiner shop. Just can't think of the name.

13. noboD

noboD

They were estimating 250,000 spectators this AM.

14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Never got over to 24hr of LeMans,I did get to crew at 24hr of Daytona 3 times and 12hr Seabring 5 times.

15. doctorZ

doctorZ

i would rather watch the 24 hours of lemons.

16. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I always watch as much as I can. Yea the HD is great. I've never been to the track but I've driven by part of it. A lot of second and third generation names in the race as well. Pretty cool.

17. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

speed stoped coverage at noon for stupid nascar.....what the hell!

18. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Have you heard the motor in the corvette down the back straight from the in car camera? DAM! Does it sound like a badass race car or what? The diesels purr but the petrol corvettes scream!

19. When Audi began using the diesel-engines, Tom Kristensen told that he had to learn to use the tacometer, before that he used to listen to the engine and then he knew when to shift gear. But with the deisel-engines he couldnt hear the rpm`s.
    And yeas the Corvettes sounds nasty.
    And no 63 is in the lead and one of the drivers is the dane Jan Magnussen:D.
    Lars

20. Weasel

Weasel

Been there many times. Night time at the kink in the middle of the Mulsanne straight is the place to be. Restaurant Genissel des Hunaudieres is awesome - you are no more than eight feet from the track - the outside wall of the restaurant, two depths of hay bales, the Armco barrier are all that is between you and the cars. The faster cars take off on the hump at speeds in excess of 230 mph in pitch black.

The other great place is on the Ferris wheel at the adjacent fairground where you can see the entire track - again awesome at night. The parade of historic race cars downtown Le Mans, around the town square the evening prior to the race is humongous.

There is simply nothing else like it.

21. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

22. Weasel

Weasel

Now imagine that at night time, hour after hour - in the wet! They hardly slow down when it's raining...:eek:

23. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

I would like to see a film of Bondurant pulling 180+ in an L88 Corvette the mulsanne straight in 1967

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Hey Dana... you REALLY know how much fun those events are then! Sad to say, I've never made either of the Florida endurance races. But I plan on Sebring next year in my new ride! Later, Gary

25. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Lars,
    You predicted everything correctly except the winner in LMP1.
    Geoff Brabham from Australia.:D

26. noboD

noboD

The night time gremlins always take their tole!!

27. I was there in person. At the end of the front stretch, down the hill at the chicane. Man oh man there was a shit load of people there !!!! 5-6 people deep at the fence and 15 people deep walking to and from someplace else on the track.
    Fuzzzy

28. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dont tell me, you sound out Grand Prix phonetically?:rolleyes:

Modern film of real race cars, you know when they looked right and sounded even better!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i4L6_cQp09c&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i4L6_cQp09c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  29. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

[​IMG]
    here he is the 8 time le man winner Tom Kristensen. i met him a couple of times, and he,s a realy nice person...i almost talked him into buying a 32 roadster! he just loved my fenderless 32..
    -palle

30. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

No he actually meant the 24 hours of lemons. A race I will someday compete in.

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

Since it's an international thread, in the US lemon is slang for piece of shit car