Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 23rd ANNUAL GUNNISON COLORADO CAR SHOW

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fivewindow Johnnie, Feb 18, 2010.

1. 1931av8

1931av8

Roger:

Need to read my HAMB page. Originally set the "build date" for 1958 after acquiring some Colorado skier plates that were registerable. That was when I was flirting with a flathead. Then I pick up this nice, complete 1963 Corvette engine from the mayor of a Denver suburb. So nice that the date matching heads still have their original iron guides (well within tolerance). Guy wanted something "reliable" in his split window so swapped his numbers matching 327 for a "reliable" crate engine.

THEN...along comes this polished 1962 Rochester fuel injection unit into my life. To hell with 1958, the "build date" has now been reset to 1963. Divine guidance.

So...nothing goes on that is visible that isn't contemporary to 1963 or earlier. Guess what GM installed in their cars in 1963? An alternator. Guess what was written up all over Hot Rod Magazine in 1962-63? How to ditch that damn generator and replace it with an alternator.

Okay..."traditional". I'll bite. The alternator is not a one wire unit. It is not internally regulated. It is a genuine, externally regulated unit. No short cuts here. Besides, I can't stand the look of a generator hanging way out on the side of the engine outside the engine bay. I have a funky squirter air cleaner doing that right now! :D

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Uh-hunh...sure...!!! After reading your last post about a '63 alternator...I'm the rank amateur...I thot alternators didn't come out til 1964...Hoo boy...
    R-

3. 1931av8

1931av8

And you thot you were the only picky perfectionist on this board...

4. Studely

Studely
    from Pueblo, CO

Holy crap! That was the most educational thing I believe I've read all summer! Thank you! And thank you for making Roger feel inadequate! :):)

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Inadequate...inequality...inasmuch...insight...I have none...and I'm not a perfectionist...I just like what I like and I don't know nothing...

R-

6. Studely

Studely
    from Pueblo, CO

Only three weeks already? Dang! Where DOES the time go??? Anyway, I'm in North Dakota for one more night, and eager to head back to Colorado. After last weekend and Lindsay's whole ordeal I thought it would be a long, long time before we felt happy enough again to want to get out and about, but the old saying "time heals all wounds" seems to apply here, thankfully. Now I'm daydreaming a LOT about heading up to Gunnison for some late summer shenanigans! I can already smell that sweet mountain air... And yeah, what's up with Chris? C'mon, Chris! After I hardly spoke to you at the Abby show, and didn't even cross paths at the NSRA doings in Pueblo, I'm REALLY looking forward to getting a chance to hang out and talk to you again! PLEASE come to Gunnison!!!

7. Studely

Studely
    from Pueblo, CO

You CRACK me up, Roger! Speaking of not really getting a chance to hang out at the NSRA show, did ya have fun? I LOVED the eclectic gathering, and everyone I talked to whose been going to that show for 26 years said it was the best thing they ever did. I'm looking forward to getting razzed for being fat when we see you in Gunnison! Is Dan coming along? I mean, the cool Jetter?

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

9. choptvan

choptvan

Headin that way for sure. Got the ho-down this weekend. You gona make that johnnie?

10. 1931av8

1931av8

Here are two guys I am really looking forward to seeing in Gunnison...and one sounds like he is backing down. Roger, you know I really respect you. Enough so that I really took on the challenge that you and Johnnie put on me to have that "truk" up there for the event. Been making a real effort and will be very disappointed in not having you there. Michelle just said likewise. She really thinks the world of you guys. Please reconsider. I DO understand the circumstances.

Scott: now just how much have you picked up since January when I last saw you. Wondering about what you implied about L in your post. Hope you guys are okay. PM me if you want to discuss...

Tom

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Tom, I certainly appreciate your efforts to get your truk done (and I'd bet Johnnie does too)...however, as for me coming up...let me just say that I am simply tapped out...and burned out. I spent waaas-aaay too much money, and as you know -time-getting the Caddy ready for Salina. As it is at this point, I don't know if the engine is going to cost me more cash to get rebuilt, or not. By the time I add up the gasoline costs to and from, the motel for a couple of nites, the entry fee and eats, that money could be better spent elsewhere.

FWIW, the engine builder still has not been over to check it out so I have no idea how bad it is. I do know that it's going to take time to pull it...and the weekend of the Gunnison show could be better spent doing just that. I may feel like working on it by then...

I certainly appreciate the compliments...

Bottom line is --if you see me, you see me. If you don't, I didn't get there.

R-

12. Shannon,

That was the plan, but this week is kickin' my butt. WIll probably spend this weekend getting ready for our show. Gotta build the stage, clean the shop, move cars, pick up the supplies, ect ect.........

You might see me, but I',m not hopeful.

Johnnie.

13. 1931av8

1931av8

Roger:

COMPLETELY understand. Time and money dictate life. Still crossing my fingers and hoping the engine issue was caught just in time and doesn't amount to a major repair headache. I can only sense your mounting frustration from the anticipation of finding the problem and the extent of the damage. More frustrating in that you need your guy to look at it and determine the problem before you can actually open it and see where it stands.

I don't envy you the job of pulling the engine. I used to do overnight engine exchanges in my youth. Spin a bearing, break a rod, whatever while racing at night and needing the car to get me to work in the morning. Not as easy as it used to be. You have pristine paint, etc. to be careful with. I can only wish you the best of luck. If you need a hand after Gunnison, please let me know. I take good direction.

Tom

14. ***********************TWO WEEKS FROM TODAY*************************

Getting close people ! Looks like we're gonna have a car show.......

Had a meeting this week with the powers that be: law enforcement, city management, parks and rec director. Everybody is ready to close Main St and Jorgensen Park and turn it over to you Rod & Sled delinquents.

Had a Stage layout discussion with the Rev-Tones,(for Two stages), they are stoked and ready to go ! The DJ, well, what can you say about the DJ ? He's a great friend and he's gonna take good care of us spinning tunes.

If anybody needs a room PM me, may have an extra available.

Anyone who wants to shoot Skeet, bring your skatter-gun and some shells. I would be happy to take some guys over the Gunnison Sportsman association to the Sunday morning Skeet shoot. It's a private club, and as a member, can bring guest.

Please PM me with any questions.

Johnnie

15. M.Edell

M.Edell

I heard that DJ,Axle drives a field car...

16. FIELD CAR ? What's a Field Car ? ?

17. M.Edell

M.Edell

Axle knows what a field car is...lol

18. 1931av8

1931av8

Getting REALLY close!

Here is a little tease...

[​IMG]

Just a few things left to do to get this old farm (field) truck from Berthoud to Gunnison...:D

Tom

19. choptvan

choptvan

Its what drives around and srpeads all the manure to make the crops grow! What a great movie...

20. Studely

Studely
    from Pueblo, CO

Regrettably, it looks like Lindsay and I are going to have to bow out of Gunnison this year for personal reasons. Sad to say that it sounds like we're going to miss out on the best GCC show and Walker after-party yet. Everyone drive safely and have an awesome time. Take lots of pictures...

21. 1931av8

1931av8

We will definitely miss you both. Best to both of you! Maybe we will catch you both at Paint N' Primer??

Tom

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  22. BigFinCad

BigFinCad

Im not giving up on u yet. Who am I gonna tell all my stories to?

23. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Well Tom, that certainly looks good...you may make it yet...here's hoping you do...!!!

R-

24. Mercchev

Mercchev

Me and Jeff's Brother will be there...

25. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

How many brothers does Jeff have...???
    Is he driving the convert...???

R-

26. There are many of us...........

27. Mercchev

Mercchev

He'll be driving the 59, and I will be driving the 55 Panel. Merc is still in paint booth hell...:-(

28. Mercchev

Mercchev

And here is what paint booth hell looks like....

Attached Files:

29. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Doesn't look like hell to me...there simply aren't enuff flames there...!!!

R-

30. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

See you on saturday. Cant stay for the party but I hear its going to be good!