Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 239 heads on 292 yblock

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coopertough, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Coopertough

Coopertough

Update on my 64 the 352 i had lined up fell through ive located another y-block but have some concerns im not against doing a rebuild i just want to know before making a offer. The one i found is a 292 block and rotating assembly. Seller says compression ranges from 70-90 across all 8 but my concern lies in that he says it has 239 heads on it. I still have the 292 heads and manifold off my old one as they were still good. Is there any benefit to the 239's should i leave it as is and run it? Or should i swap

2. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

SWAP!!!! Also consider re-ringing as those numbers are NOT very good!! If you're going to re-ring, you might consider AT LEAST new main seals, if not just going through it just to be sure it's OK. I hope you aren't considering any more than "core-value" for this motor??

3. 70-90....no, not good. My 272 had 100 psi. across the board.
    No, do not run the 239 heads...tiny ports and valves.

4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

What is considered acceptable cold compression for a Y block 292? The manual sez 130-170 psi at normal operating temperature.

5. if the mill has been setting and not running for a long period. Its possible that the compression numbers will come up after it is started and goes thru a few cycles. My advice forget the Y block. Find a Fe or a 351 winsor.

6. Coopertough

Coopertough

I wasnt gonna spend more than 200 on the motor expecting to go through it. Thanks for the advice on the heads and the rings i didnt even think about those numbers being low. I had an fe lined up and have a 351w sitting in the garage but id prefer to keep this a yblock truck. Ill let everyone know what happens with the new one