Register now to get rid of these ads!

235chevy to a t5 trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badsix, Jul 5, 2012.

1. badsix

badsix
    from oregon

i just got a 31 chevy 1/2 ton pickup and i want to do a 235 and a t-5 trans ( s-10 ) has anyone done this ? i have a 235 out of a 54 pickup i want to use and i allso have a later bell housing. do i have the right parts? will this just bolt together and work .
    thanks jay d

2. James Curl

James Curl

Do a search under T-5 installation or the ultimate T-5 thread should turn up about a hundred pages of posts that should answer all of your questions. That's the fastest way to do what you want to know.

3. I think the Flat Head Ernie ? has documented this in his many posts about the T5.

4. badsix

badsix
    from oregon

thanks james, i'm on it :)

5. James Curl

James Curl

Well I tried after I posted and I could not get anything, must be my description language. I always have trouble with my wordage in the search mode but plenty has been posted here in the past, I hope you can find it.

6. farmboyhotrodder

farmboyhotrodder
    from PA

7. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

That 235 truck bell worked for me with an open drive line. Here are the clutch and pressure plate numbers. Clutch number 4212 and pressure plate number 5472.

8. badsix

badsix
    from oregon

thanks agin guys, lots of GOOD info
    jay d

9. CARRILLO

CARRILLO
    from SO CAL

9'',14 spline cluch disk,cut 3/4''s off the input shaft,bore down a 1/4'' of the splines inside the cluch hub with a 1'' bit or if you have a mill even better.drill out mounting holes on the trans with 1/2'' bit because they are metric,just shy of 1/2''.Every thing else should be a no brainer....Good luck.

10. great info!:D

11. badsix do you have the stock engine in the truck? i can direct you to a hamb member that i helped put one in his 32' chevy confederate with the stock engine and it works great.

12. Little Terry

Little Terry

You will come up against a few obstacles, but it has been done lots of times. You need to look at:
    Box to bellhousing adapter
    Convert rear end to open drive
    Shorter water pump (unless you have the block with the earlier 2-hole pump).
    Pedal mounting position.

Follow the link in my signature to see some of the problems I encountered.

Let us know how you get on.

LT